The new iPad camera compared to the iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RonHC, Mar 17, 2012.

1. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Made a comparison video and you can really see the difference. I'm impressed, what about you?

2. cfs macrumors 6502a

I'm impressed. My work wanted to purchase iPads last year to make portfolios but the camera wasn't good enough quality for this. This year is a different story.

3. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

Thanks for the video, really nice comparison. Looks like high volume of those Megapixels doesn't really mean you have better camera. 5Mpx is still pretty decent.

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The iPad 2 seemed like it had a more stable picture. The new iPad was clear but real shaky imo.

5. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

agreed, maybe they can upgrade the camera for the iPod touch in the next update

6. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

I think i prefer the smoother iPad 2 footage rather than the juddery iPad 3 footage. Surely that can be fixed with an update?

7. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming that's from the image stabilization, which I've always found to be hit or miss in any camera (that does it digitally). I can't find a way to turn it off.

I'm sure an update could give a toggle if people complain.

8. Saturn007 macrumors regular

It also could be operator jiggles! I know that when I take videos with my digicam or iPhone, I need to pan very, very slowly--a lot slower than one thinks one needs to do, to end up with stable movie.

What would be fun would be a side-by-side comparison!

9. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

You think that's not smooth...use the photobooth app, the back camera on mine is almost unusable:D with photobooth. I hope FaceTime with the back camera is not as bad as photobooth, anyone try facetime using back camera yet? Maybe options to do 480p, 720p and 1080i ...more options the better.

But yeah, with much slower pans, or none, the camera is nice.

Someday we shall have 60p and that's going to be awesome, I have 60p camera and it's amazing, but it's not an ipad:D.

10. tommot82 macrumors regular

very interesting! I had no idea the difference would be so dramatic!