The new iPad feels much more usable than the original

Discussion in 'iPad' started by likemyorbs, Mar 22, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Just upgraded from my original iPad to the new one yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I loved my old one but when it came to browsing the Internet and things like that I still preferred to do it on my Mac. It was just a bit too laggy for my taste and didn't seem practical. I mainly used it for e-textbooks and note taking in class. With this new one, because its so much faster I actually feel encouraged to pick it up and use it much more often. I didn't think the dictation feature would be as useful as it is, i like to be able to dictate a phrase instead of having to type it into the google search bar when I'm browsing the web. It's something the iPad can do that a computer can't without third party software. With every new iPad release I feel like they are coming closer and closer to replacing laptops for basic uses. I was debating whether to upgrade or not since I didn't use my old one very often, but I definitely don't regret this upgrade because it just feels so much more functional.

2. nStyle macrumors 65816

I agree. I rarely used my first iPad and only used my iPad 2 for apps like Directv and Nightstand and a few games. Now that things are much more fluid I feel the need to keep the iPad near and use it more since there isn't any clunky zooming because the text is unreadable.

3. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Same sentiments

I also upgraded from the original one and it feels amazing! Tasks that were a headache back then was a breeze now. I didn't experience safari crashing yet and have yet to suffer low memory conditions. Overall, it was great and yes, I think it is a new path for regular consumers, to upgrade (or downgrade) to an ipad on their next purchase. For pros though, desktop/laptop is still king.

I thought i would be blown away by retina but i guess I was smothered by the retina on my 4S so from being excited, i was just thankful it was a nice add-on.

4. OnEMoReTrY macrumors member

Every benchmark I've seen shows the iPad 3 slower than the iPad 2 when it comes to application load times and web browsing. Not sure what placebo you're smoking. I have a 3, i love it much more than the 2, but not for those reasons.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The OP is talking about upgrading from the ORIGINAL iPad. I did also and second the views above.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Same. I've gotten used to the retina, I've had the iPhone 4 since June 2010 so I think it for granted now. Although I must say I would not have bought the new iPad if it didn't have a retina display. Another thing that i think makes it so much more usable is the fact that it's a lot lighter than the original. I never thought the original was heavy but it's definitely heavy compared to this one.

----------

You should try reading the OP before replying next time. ;)

7. lilo777 macrumors 603

Apple using 256MB RAM on iPad 1 was an extremely poor technical decision. Specs don't matter? Sure...

I am not sure that iPad 3 offers much more than iPad 1 in terms of what can be done with it though. Sure, the pictures look better but that's generally not what limits tablet usability in my opinion. It's a small screen and touch screen interface. While it's nice for some uses (like recreational web browsing) it's absolutely inferior to desktops in most cases.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I mainly use mine for web surfing and email so I it's a nice jump but not huge for me. I still pick up the iPad one at times, just feels right while the new one is much better but quess missing the charm I got used to. I think I like the original back, the iPad 2/3 is kinda meh...

Screen is awesome though. The speed enhancements are lost on me as I never game or use it as a production creation device.

9. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I've enjoyed all of my iPads, but I agree the first was clunky. Clunky, but revolutionized the way I surf the web. It was amazing but only touched the potential. LTE is the biggest plus for me. I live in San Diego and there are still places with no wifi!

10. seadragon Contributor

Having returned 3 new iPads due to screen defects, I'm back to using my original. I do like the feel of the original better with the rounded back. I was very impressed with LTE on the new ones though.

11. gatearray macrumors 65816

The original iPad was a bold move and a brand-new product for Apple, and all of the pundits said that it would fail spectacularly.

So for a risky first-generation device, what would you have done, go all in and over engineer the hell out of it?

In the spring of 2010, the most RAM any iOS device had was 256 MB. Who knew the iPad would turn out to be such a great success? Everybody agrees that it really could've used 512 MB of RAM like the (at the time, soon to come) iPhone 4. Oops. :)

12. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

The iPad 1 ran perfectly well when it was released with 256mb RAM.

13. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

This. And the fact that it still runs comparatively well vs. non iPad tablets in 2012.

14. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I'd love to see those benchmarks if you had the link.

15. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Benchmarks are artificial numbers that mean nothing. No one even knows how accurate they are for mobile devices. Real life numbers are what you should go by.

16. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

Seriously? :confused: Are you even aware of what a benchmark is? We should just dropt he way we check performance and go by "real life numbers" whatever that means to you, since benchmarking isn't "real life" apparently?

17. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I don't think you know what a benchmark is and how it works. A benchmark taxes and tests a hardware and software system. Many engineers laugh at them because they run artificial stresses on the CPU, GPU, Memory and more. Ever wonder why no two benchmark programs come out with the same result? Try doing some research on Toms Hardware, Anandtech, or Hardware testing sites.
    Challenging me when I bet you don't know the first thing about overclocking, timing memory, or even know what EFI Or BIOS is. Lol silly rabbit.