The New iPad (iPad 3) iOS 8 performance?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jr. Pac, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Jr. Pac macrumors member

My iPad 3 is already on 7.0.3, which in itself is already quite buggy. Does anyone have experience on iOS 8 GM? How does it run?

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I haven't updated my iPad to 8 yet so I can't speak to that question. But you should update to 7.1.2 regardless. 7.1 is a vast improvement over 7.0.x on the iPad. I'm still a bit shocked Apple allowed the iPad version of 7.0 to the public as horridly buggy as it was.

3. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Upgrade to iOS 7.1... what's the hold up? It's been months!

4. mikeyteh macrumors member

mikeyteh

iOS 8 works great on iPad 3, probably because they didn't include Continuity. Smooth as can be. 7.1 was great too. Echoing others, what's the hold up? Update your gear!

5. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I still am shocked at how 7.0 made it to iPad as well. I mean, tap on "Wallpapers" twice in settings and it crashes. Every time. What? Keyboards for some reason had no translucency, even though they were in the betas, but instead they were the ugly gray transparent crap that the poor iPad 2 and 3 owners get. On top of all that, bad lag. It still exists in 7.1, although it isn't nearly as bad.

Anyway, update to 7.1 as fast as you can. It is much better than 7.0, well, at least it was on my retina mini. But then you can decide whether to go to iOS 8 or not.

6. Jr. Pac, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Jr. Pac thread starter macrumors member

The issue is that I need Increased Contrast as well as Reduced Motion on. 7.1 seems to make those blander... But it's not like it will be any better on OS8. I'll at least try 7.1 and maybe use Dockshift or something.

That's the new iOS for me... The effects make me sick so I have to be treated like I'm disabled...
    Sigh.

Thanks guys.

7. humar macrumors 6502

humar

Nothing else to add. Works fine here as on 7.1.2.

8. wolfboy macrumors regular

Strange, iOS8 GM is noticeably laggier than iOS7.1 on my iPad 3. Random stutters everywhere, especially jerky when closing apps. Safari is not snappier. It's kind of frustrating to use now actually. It seems to reload tabs more often, even when only one tab is open, which it rarely did before.

I'd say performance is a little bit worse than pre-iOS7.1

9. Jr. Pac thread starter macrumors member

I pulled the trigger and gave it the go.
    Honestly I'm really disappointed at the lack of new features or really anything.
    But anyway it runs fairly well so I'm not going to complain :)

10. bushido Suspended

bushido

it runs fine on 7.1.2 but i just updated it to iOS 8 for two days a few days ago and had to go back to iOS 7. the lag drove me insane, when i clicked on an iMessage it took forever to open the other conversation for example.