The new iPad is a great camera device

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kmanmx, Apr 13, 2012.

1. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Practically every review I have read mocks using a tablet for photos, and I do understand, you look pretty stupid, and it can be an unwieldy device to take a picture with. However, I don't think it's that simple at all. I believe if you look past the two aforementioned issues, it's actually quite the opposite - it's almost a perfect device to take pictures on.

The new iPad doesn't have top of the range image quality, it is however adequate enough to produce usable images from, especially for showing friends and family. What makes the iPad an amazing photography device though is the live viewfinder, aka the retina display. A 2048x1536 viewfinder 9.7" in size, with accurate colors, is actually a god send to people interested in photography. The ability to tell what is in focus, frameing and exposure is immeasurably easier on the iPad than it is on the iPhones screen.

The screen makes takeing pictures an easier task than it normally is. Every picture you take is going to be good, because you are effectively seeing it in full size anyway - you can tell whether the exposure is right, the focus is correct, and the framing is good. This is not so true of a phone or point and shoot camera, the screen makes the above quite difficult.

So, you've lined up your perfect shot on the iPad and took the picture. Great, now you have what I believe to be the strongest attempt at putting a powerful picture editor on a tablet: iPhoto. Small performance issues aside, it has all the options you need 90% of the time. You can sharped, soften, desaturate or saturate different parts of the image.. and much more.

Then once you have made your original photo look even better, you have all the options iPhoto gives to upload, and if none of them suit you, there are countless other apps out there supporting different services to upload too.

I really do think the iPad is underrated as a camera. Yes you look stupid, yes it can be hard to hold, but it also presents you with all these powerful tools in one great compact device.

If this thing came with a full frame sensor and interchangeable lenses, I would actually use it for serious photography. Honestly. The other features are just so good, the actual camera performance is by far the weakest link - but by no means useless.

This is just a snap I got indoors at the window earlier in fairly bad lighting. Two minutes work in iPhoto saturating it up, softening the background and applying a bit of sharpening really improves the photo. By no means a great photo, but it is a mere example of what could be achieved if more time and effort was put into it.

Click to enlarge.
    [​IMG]

2. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I'm sorry but no matter how good the camera is in a 10 inch tablet I would never use it. Apple could put a SLR quality shooter in it and I still would not use it. It's like putting 24 inch rims on a $500 car; it's still a $500 car at the end of the day.
    A better front shooter makes more sense than a rear camera. Or when Apple finally decides to make a smaller 7.85 inch iPad with a iPhone 4S camera and flash. That makes better sense.

3. waynep macrumors 6502

I have taken pictures with mine. If I am sitting on the couch reading Instapaper or something on the iPad and one of the dogs or cats does something I would like a quick shot of, then I use the iPad. If I am going somewhere to take photos I take a camera, but if it's unexpected, I'll use my phone, iPad also.

I think it depends on the situation. Camera replacement? Nope . . Useful in certain situations? Sure.

4. jbimler macrumors regular

I've taken pictures of my kids ndoors but that's about it. I am loving iPhoto though. Nice to make albums with photo stream.

5. Gary79 macrumors newbie

Gary79

When I saw the iPhoto demo on the keynote, I was not impressed. I never took photos with my iphones or my new ipad, and knew I had no desire to spend money on iPhoto.

And then my wife gave birth to the most beautiful baby boy in the world a few days ago, and he is my life. I've since snapped hundreds of photos on my 4S, setup Photostream to my iPad, and spent countless hours editing photos, making journals, and sharing them with friends and family. Now I get it...

Attached Files:

6. mcsenerd macrumors regular

I too find the camera to be quite good and useful. I do have a problem with camera doing quite a bit of focus hunting...which occasionally drives me crazy.

7. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

Yeah I don't know why people make fun of the camera so much...

8. noteple, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

The camera on the iPad 2 was just so bad you don't understand the utility of the device that far exceeds the imagination.

I have used it to take pictures of the white board in lectures and meetings.

Don't have to take as many notes, just grab whats up there already.

Have even captured shots of the groups for attendance.

Nobody knows your using a camera, because hey, its a tablet.

I was at a new product introduction and holding it like a clipboard caught the whole act as a video. Had it out as an email before leaving the room.

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

I just realized that I've never used the camera on my iPad 3. Lol. Kinda odd taking pictures with a 9.7" tablet outside. Lol.

10. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Same boat, although I prefer the focusing bit b/c it ensures I snap the focued pic that I like. I snap pics with the iPad all the time, all my documents, receipts, etc. Like the other day, I went to the eye doctors, pulled out the iPad and I already had my old prescription pictured, ready to go, to show him where to start.

11. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

And no matter what, people will still make lame arguments.

If the iPad didn't have a camera:
    "Why doesn't the iPad have a camera!?"

When the iPad does have a camera:
    "Why are the megapixels so low?!"

When the iPad upgrades it's camera:
    "Who would take a picture with their iPad?!?"

:confused:

12. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

The #1 priority of any serious photographers is to capturing the right moment. It's better to have a photo by 1MP camera rather than not having one.

Sure it won't replace my 5k Nikon with N lens, but it fills another moment that I may not have my camera next to me.

13. donnaw macrumors 65816

I take pics and videos of my grandkids all the time. Did the same with my ipad2. They are 4 and 7 and they love me to take them and then instantly watch/look at them. My 3 year-old granddaughter loves to take pics too. Although most of her's are of her feet she still loves it. And when I turned the camera around and she learned she could take pics of herself, well, THAT was the best trick ever. Some of the pics she took of her own face, with that big grin glowing are my most favorites.

Sure they aren't the best quality but my family has so much fun with the camera I would really hate to have missed those spontaneous moments. Better to have them at a low quality than to have missed them completely while I look for my camera (or even my phone, which is usually buried in my purse).

14. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Apple might just ship its devices with a baby from now on mate. :p

15. Arran, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Try telling that to this guy:

Attached Files:

16. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I notice that a number if cam apps i got with my ipad 2 dont seem to shoot in the higher resolution that the stock ipad 3 camera app does -- is that possible?

17. jbimler macrumors regular

Congrats.

Nice to be able to edit an album for their entire year of school or Easter weekend. iPhoto is amazing in that regard.

18. Storrow macrumors regular

Love it.

19. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I use it in my backyard and in my house and once in public when nobody else was around. I'll admit I really like but would be embarrassed to use it in public for most situations. The large screen really is a plus over the iPhone.

20. bniu macrumors 6502a

The iPad 3 camera is not designed to be your primary camera. It's more of a "spontaneous" camera where when you are using your iPad and you see something you want to get a quick picture of, having that camera there is useful in that you don't have to dig out your smartphone or dedicated camera.

21. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I view it as a poor mans view camera. It works well enough to suit me, and if using an iPad as a camera was the most embarrasing thing I would ever do from this point out I would be extremely happy!!!

22. donnaw macrumors 65816

I took my ipad2 to the coast last fall. I actually took it down to the beach (I was waiting on a Skype call from my husband who was in Istanbul). In the meantime, I took a bunch of pics of the family.

I guess I'm old enough to have gotten over being embarrassed by stuff like that. Eventually you do get to the point of not caring what others think. We didn't cause anyone any pain or hurt, we had fun, and even with the ipad2 the pics were nice.

23. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I had zero intention of upgrading this year until the new camera was announced. That is the one thing that might entice me to do it. I have my iPad on me more than my camera or phone, so I take a lot of snapshots of my baby with it - and most suck. A better camera would be awesome... But pricey, since I think I'd want to upgrade to 32gb 3G from my 16gb wifi. Maybe I can stick it out til next year....

24. not a fanboy macrumors newbie

I used the camera in the ipad 2 a bit, but it was mostly useless because it was not high enough resolution. The new ipad resolved this issue and it is very useful. Initially I didn't realize how often I would use it, till the situation presented itself. I mostly use it as a document scanner, to archive information, to archive a slide in a meeting, or for photos for something I'm selling on Ebay.