The new iPad mini retina

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peteykrogh, Nov 20, 2013.

1. peteykrogh macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of buying my first iPad mini retina and had already seen the reviews on the new mini retina. I know I need the smallest iPad mostly for reading and I've been waiting for a year.

But still I'm a bit worried about all the rumors about the color gamut compared to the new iPad Air.

Therefore i was thinking if Apple are going to produce iPad mini retina with a new manufacture for the screen, will it be best to wait for that and maybe they have solved the screen / color issue?

Cheers

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

People like to complain about anything. Forums give them the place to do that. If you want to buy one, then buy it. I have both and side by side there is a slight difference but not enough to make me not buy the mini. It is a good device which gets used a lot in our house.

3. mwayne85 macrumors regular

The color gamut is not that big of a deal. Buy one and enjoy it. You're going to love it as a reading device.

4. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have had mine for a week. The screen is brilliant. The colors are beautiful. It's a joy to use. I see no reason why anyone should wait any longer.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I bet that if you did not read about this color issue or any other issue mention on any forum, you would be happy as a dog getting a new bone when you bought the iPad.

6. peteykrogh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes im sure I would and I'm still tempted to buy it. But it's difficult to find some in stores atm.

I'm still thinking, if it's that difficult to buy in a store, why not wait till it is in stock everywhere and maybe produced with Samsung's screens that might not have those symptoms :)

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My wife loves her mini, and yes people will complain about anything

8. Essenar macrumors 6502a

People say stuff all the time like, "If you return it for a better one, you'll never be happy."

I disagree entirely with that statement. In fact I think it's downright ignorant bad advice. So here's what I suggest you do:

Buy one. Open the box and inspect it. Inspect the colors, watch videos on it, play games on it. Really closely examine the color range and make sure there's NOTHING wrong with it.

Yellow corner? Take it back.

Really bad color gamut? Take it back.

Dead pixel? Take it back.

Won't connect to WiFi reliably? Take it back. Just keep taking it back until you get one that looks the way a new iPad should look out of the box.

When I got my iPad 4, I had to return it hmmm... ZERO times. It was perfect out of the box. Same for my Retina MacBook Pro.

I went with my girlfriend to get an iPad Air and the first one had some color issues. We took it back. It took us two exchanges and we finally got one she was happy with. And you know what? It's fantastic. She doesn't have this, "Am I really okay with this product the way it is?" look anymore. Versus my friend who got a Retina 15 at launch and was 'okay' with the color issues and every time he shows it to people and they say, "Is there something wrong with the screen?" he clearly has doubts about it. He has this "I made a mistake" look on his face, filled with regret and remorse about not saying anything.

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Except that the "issue" with color gamut is that the screens are designed not to have full color gamut like the iPad Air. Taking it back will do nothing, but give you a new one with the same "issue"....

----------

OP: As already stated, if you hadn't read about the "bad color gamut" compared to the iPad Air, you probably wouldn't even realize it. Yes some have a keen eye for this sort of thing, but frankly unless an Air and a rMini are sitting next to each other, you probably wouldn't think twice about it.

Get the size that works best for you. I just purchased an Air for myself and my daughter is getting an rMini for Christmas since she's younger and the full size iPads are just too much for her to take with her.

10. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

You don't have to get another one. You can simply return it. The benefit of this is, instead of taking the word of anonymous people on a forum that constantly complain about the latest and greatest, the OP can actually decide for him/herself if they think it's a good product.

Edit: As you stated in your second post.

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

My response was to Essenar who stated:

Just keep taking it back until you get one that looks the way a new iPad should look out of the box.

You can't really take it back to get one that doesn't have the "issue" if they all look that way "out of the box".....