The new iPad or wait out for new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nye, Mar 8, 2012.

  1. Nye macrumors newbie

    Nye

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    #1
    Been waiting for an iPad for a while (with both my dad and even my grandad buying an iPad 2 before me) but was never sure if I could part with the cash... Now that there is a new one out, I'm starting to think I can! However, with money tight-ish and my HP laptop needing replacing when I finish uni in June, is it worth getting an iPad as my general computer and a cheap-ish Windows laptop (if necessary) or waiting for the MBP refresh later this year? Tim Cook said himself that people are moving away from the PC and into iOS. But could I survive with just an iPad (oh and iPhone 4)? Or is it better to get the MBP on its own first? I can see Apple being more innovative with iOS than Mac OS X but hey. Thoughts please!
     
  2. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2003
    #2
    I have both and iPad and a Macbook. If I could only have one I would stick (regrettably) with the Macbook. The iPad is great and go to device for 80% of what I do (read, e-mail (short), web browse) but the other 20 % (write reports, create power point presentations, photoshop) it really does not work well for me at all. Your mileage may vary. But for somethings you really do want a mouse and a keyboard, mature filing systems, and more than one app running at a time. Yes you can do bluetooth for the keyboard but the absence of a good filing system to me... limits it (yes there are work arounds but)...

    so at the end of the day, my Macbook really can do all what the iPad does for me (maybe not as fun), but the same can not be said for my iPad over the Macbook.

    Your other option, a cheapish windows laptop, I personally just wouldn't go there.
     
  3. Nye thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nye

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    #3
    Thanks for your post. Yeah this is what I was worried about if I had just an iPad... It seems you can't really survive on just an iPad (unless you normally dont use a computer...). Haha tell me about it, I regret buying my HP laptop for uni, broken twice, ruined when I upgraded to Win 7 and wish I had my iMac up here :/ Ah well, hopefully the refresh for MBP isn't too far off!:)
     

Share This Page