The new iPad: Recommend your favourite Retina apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by allaboutmusic, Mar 20, 2012.

1. allaboutmusic macrumors member

Thought I'd ask all you other new iPad owners to recommend your favourite apps that show off the Retina display. There is obviously a section on the App Stor for featured apps for new iPad, but thee must be more out there which don't appear on that list (currently 35) that people are really digging - possibly older apps which have been updated to Retina graphics.

I've never owned an iPad before, so really looking forward to hearing about how to get the most out of this thing.

2. MS2083 macrumors regular

Infinity blade ii
    Modern Combat 3
    Rage HD
    Sky Gamblers Air Supremacy
    Jurassic Park 1 HD
    Asphalt 6 HD
    Real Racing 2 HD

3. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hmm... there aren't very many that are fully optimised for the Retina Display just yet, since Apple only gave developers around a week to prepare (if I'm not mistaken). However, here's a shortlist of my favourite apps that have already been given some Retina love:

• Real Racing 2 HD - looks fantastic, runs buttery smooth
    • Order & Chaos - the best MMORPG for iOS
    • Reeder - fantastic Google Reader app
    • Twitter

I know that's not very many, but most of the apps and games that I used simply haven't been updated yet.

Keep an eye on this featured category that Apple's running. It's a list of apps that have already been Retina optimised:
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/collection/great-apps-for-the-new-ipad/id31926?fcId=510465025&mt=8

EDIT: The two posts above mine appeared literally as I was typing this one, but do check out that iTunes link I've posted. :p

5. iTiki macrumors 6502

I'm an old timer and really enjoy pinball. Collection for pinball is outstanding if you are into pinball. App has been updated for the new iPad and the graphics are top notch.

6. astrorider macrumors 6502

7. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

8. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

True, of course. There are obviously thousands of apps being updated all the time, but that's a handy page of notable ones that (I presume) Apple will add to for a while.

9. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I'm loving Tweetbot. I already had it for iPhone, and while you must purchase the iPad version separately, it's well worth it. My favorite feature is the tweet marker integration. When I get home, if I still have say 350 unread tweets in my timeline on my iPhone, when I turn on the app on my iPad, it takes me directly to that same spot on the timeline.

10. Advil macrumors 6502a

Tweetbot, readability and sky gamblers for now.

Can't wait for Zite to update.

11. larmonkm macrumors member

i'm enjoying flipboard even more now than i was when i had it on the ipad2. and that's a lot.