The New iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shreydesai, Mar 15, 2012.

1. shreydesai macrumors member

shreydesai

I heard that the new iPad was just released by Apple, and I'm thinking of getting it. Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of it to the iPad 2, and if someone has already bought it, could you tell me if you are satisfied or not? Thanks!

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's got a super high resolution display. That's mainly it. You've also got a quad-core GPU to compensate for the resolution, and a 70% larger battery to compensate for both of them.

3. efyou macrumors regular

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. dominicanx2002 macrumors newbie

dominicanx2002

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just shell out the extra $100. It. will. be. worth. it.

7. Spencie macrumors regular

Spencie

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

If you are a web developer and technology blogger I sincerely hope you're able to ascertain the differences between the two devices. Better yet... I'd hope you've heard of the new iPad being released at some point here in the past 10 days at least.

:confused::confused:

9. shreydesai thread starter macrumors member

shreydesai

i just want to see other people's opinions... i've already seen the specs though. i want to see if someone else can bring up some better things about it

10. Spencie macrumors regular

Spencie

Haha. What I was thinking. What kind of dev doesn't know the differences between the ipads. Sad thing, I know him in real life.

11. shreydesai thread starter macrumors member

shreydesai

i want opinions!

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

You are obviously trolling here and even if you just woke up from a coma you would still know that it is not being released till tomorrow so no one has one yet.

13. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Clearly whatever comparisons between the iPad 2 and iPad 3 we can make Apple can make them better.

Additionally, a few notable tech blogs said that once you use the iPad 3 you can't go back to an iPad 2, sort of like trying to go between stereo and surround sound. That's something to consider.

14. tivoboy macrumors 68030

15. Angler macrumors regular

16. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I beg to differ. It's released tomorrow in the USA. many other countries have already gotten them (for example some people in the UK and some in Australia have gotten them). Macrumors is not just USA, but the entire world.

Umm the first poster after your OP pretty much summed it up, although LTE / 4G wasn't mentioned which is a pretty huge update too.

In terms of disadvantage, there is a weight difference (hardly noticeable, but still there) as well as a tiny bit thicker b/c of the battery size. I also hear Retina apps are going to be bigger, so with 16GB of storage, you will need to manage space more efficiently (and this relates to all products i think). Of course with the iPad 2 prices dropping extremely low (I believe some people were able to get $299 + tax for an iPad 2 (new) at a few B&M stores (spread b/c of price matching)

That pretty much sums it up. If you are interested in many more opinions, I suggest Googleing some reviews. One huge thing I have noticed is that many reviewers are saying that upgrading form iPad 2 --> iPad 3 is a fuzzy line. It's more like a "If you got the extra $, then sure why not" type of thing. It's a definite upgrade opinion from a 1 to a 3, but the 2 and the 3 are pretty similar except for the things listed in this thread (retina, quadcore GPU, 4G/LTE, battery, etc.

The biggest advantage is the retina display (3.1 million pixels on the 9.7 inch screen! Can't wait to get mine!!

17. shreydesai thread starter macrumors member

shreydesai

Thanks for the insight! I'm probably going to buy the new iPad. So I'm kind of confused. Is this new iPad called the iPad 3, iPad HD, new iPad..

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

neither. It's called the iPad.
    The New iPad is what Apple used in their keynote, and people are making fun of it, but technically it's just the iPad. Apple basically got rid of their generation-in-the-name thing. (ex. iPad, iPad 2)
    The iPad 3 and the iPad HD were predicted names, and well the games are done, but the name's still on. So people, just call it the iPad 3, whereas it's true name is "the iPad"

What are you going to be using it for? I have been thinking the same and i decided to buy the new one for my uses (mainly reading textbooks, and notes, etc) Maybe i can help you with your choice :)

19. shreydesai thread starter macrumors member

shreydesai

I might buy an iPad for my family, for my dad who likes to check his email, my mom who likes to look up recipes, my grandparents who like to read books, my brother who likes to play games, and for me - I might go on Facebook or Twitter, or use some textbooks for homework. I might also take some pictures. Does the new iPad have a higher resolution or the iPad 2?

20. RAWphenom macrumors member

I really don't know if I'm supposed to be taking the OP's posts seriously.

Troll so hard?

21. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yes, the iPad 3 has twice the resolution (four times the pixels) of the iPad 2.

22. shreydesai thread starter macrumors member

shreydesai

One more question - does this new iPad come with Siri?

23. brownshoelace macrumors newbie

24. JacaByte macrumors 6502