the New IPhone 3gS headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Randykn., Jun 20, 2009.

1. Randykn. macrumors member

just a quick question,

i have seen vids on the unboxing, speed test, and some reviews of the Iphone3gS. but i still don't see anyone doing vid doing bout the headphones

as i can tell theres a volume up and down toggle there, and i wanted to know whether the mic works for the voice control feature?
    does it act the same way as ipod shuffle's headphone?
    or is it still the same so the button in between the volume controls is to answer calls/ plays music?
    if it does acts like ipod shuffle, that means the button is to activate voice control, this is actually what i pictured when watching the guided tour for iphone3gS, he practically mentioned 'pressing the headphones'

2. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I haven't really used them much but holding the middle button activates the voice control and they have volume up and down controls as well.

3. Randykn. thread starter macrumors member

So there's no more press to play/answer calls?
    i'm very curious lol
    thanks for the reply

and also sorry for putting up in the wrong section macrumors, didn't thought of that

4. markym07931 macrumors regular

i just RTFM'd and the middle button, play, pauses, answers calls..

it's not as if it is rocket science..

5. missadri macrumors newbie

the headphones do work like the 3G ones.
    middle button- play/pause/backward (3 clicks)/forward (2 clicks)
    volume up/down

if you hold down the middle button the voice control feature does come on and respond to the microphone just like the shuffle videos show. It's very fun to play with.

I'm very happy the volume controls work on the 3GS. I had bought the apply in-ear headphones when they first came out (around Christmas) awesome headphones and way more comfortable and better noise cancelling. the only thing I didn't like was that the volume control wouldn't work with my 3G. Now it works with the 3GS and I'm going to include the ones that came with the 3GS when I sell my 3G.

Hope I answered your questions and then some.

6. Randykn. thread starter macrumors member

yup, you did answer all of it :D
    forward and backward as in next and previous songs yeah?
    sounds awesome!

can't wait for it to be out (Australia)

7. wpointw macrumors newbie

In ear earphones - iPhone 3Gs

So, missadri, you're saying that the in ear earphones sold by Apple are 100% compatible with the new iPhone 3Gs? Let me tell you that I went to TWO Apple Stores, and ASKED if it was compatible, and they ALL told me that the volume control was not!!! If what you're saying is true, I'm very angry about how incompetent people working for Apple are. The online Apple Store is not clearer about the audio control compatibility:

"*Compatibility Information

The remote and mic are supported only by iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (120GB), iPod touch (2nd generation), and iPhone 3G S. The remote is supported by iPod shuffle (3rd generation). Audio is supported by all iPod models.

Requires software version 1.0.3 for iPod nano (4th generation), 2.0.1 for iPod classic (120GB), and 2.2 or later for iPod touch (2nd generation)."

Please, someone help me!

8. Love Juice macrumors regular

best place to research / talk about headphones is head-fi.org

there is a wealth of into there that will help you in making a decision :)

9. wpointw macrumors newbie

10. Thrilledge macrumors regular

Are you talking about the headphones that come with the phone?

11. wpointw macrumors newbie

I am talking about the in ear headphones (with silicone ear guides), sold by Apple. No way to know if they're compatible with the new 3GS.

12. bcs732 macrumors member

The new apple in ear earphones with volume and mic work with the 3GS. All functions work.

13. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Dude is correct; they are 100% compatible with the 3GS. :)