The new iPhone is nothing to do with Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by comedine, Jun 8, 2009.

1. comedine macrumors member

I've always thought that Apple were innovators. That they pushed the bar. But over the last couple of years they've done nothing of the sort.

The new 3GS is a really lazy attempt. They've shoved a faster processor and magnetometer into it and called it a new phone. Apple haven't really done anything - no new design, no new concepts, no new interface, no new useability, no new anything really.

The Pre has the charging base thingy. The ZuneHD has an OLED screen. But the iPhone is essentially the same as the very first one. Put the 2G, 3G and 3GS side-by-side and look at them face-on - they're the same.

Same as the new MBPs. What's different?! An SD card slot (like they've had in PCs for years). No OLED. No Bluray. No innovations.

I'm incredibly disappointed and will probably continue with my 2G iPhone, 2yr old MBP and 4yr old Apple TV. My money is staying in my pocket!

2. Dmich116 macrumors member

they are improving one a proven platform

and why were you expecting something totally new?

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Inductive power....been around for years. Frankly the ability to dock my phone/iPod and charge as well as sync makes inductive power a nice "geegaw" feature but hardly useful in real life.

OLED is nice and delivers a wider viewing angle and better contrast but how is that really going to change my productivity?

Isn't innovation how technology is applied? The same more powerful processor, magnetometer and more are available to any phone developer but it is how these parts are culled into a package around a good user interface is what Apple does to be innovative.

If you spend less time searching in vain for the thrill of new hardware and more time applying what you have now you'll likely be happier. Anyone can bitch and moan because their endless need for specifications wasn't met but the rubber meets the road where productivity is paramount and SDK 3.0 is more important to these needs than a slightly better screen or fancy charging system.

4. David Turnbull macrumors newbie

Whilst I'd like OLED I think it's ridiculous to complain about no bluray. Apple offer high definition content via iTunes. They'd surely prefer people download movies via their service rather than buying bluray discs.

Anyways, bluray will be gone in a couple of years. If the Xbox 360 can stream 1080p movies over the internet, why would anyone go to a store and pay a helluva lot of money for a bluray disc?