The New iPhone (LTE) / Verizon. What I plan to do

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tortri, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Tortri, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

*chit chat post*

I currently have a iPhone 4s and when the new ipad came out I switched my service to a 4g sim card, putting unlimited data plan on my iPad. It's been working great with the exception that my phone is almost useless without internet. I've been making phone calls via Skype ($60 for a year)when I'm on wifi or using a bluetooth headset on the ipad.(I use google voice so i never lost my number I give out)

Now remember Verizon got pwn'ed by FCC for disabling HotSpot on LTE phones. Now assuming the next iphone has LTE that means technically it should include hotspot FREE of charge.

With that said my plan is to go sell off my iphone 4s, buy the new iPhone out right (retaining my unlimited plan on verizon) and using my phone as a phone again and able to hotspot for my ipad to get internets free of charge.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Sure I'm out $250 after selling the old iphone and buying a new iphone but to me this is almost like buying a subsidized phone without losing the unlimited data plan and no 2 year contract.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

You can't tether free with unlimited. You still have to pay the fee. The customers with tiered plans are only eligible to get free tethering.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

The FCC 1 penny fine Verizon received (actually 1.2 milin but that's like 1penny to Verizon)involved them blocking legit ate 3rd party tethering programs available in Android play store.

That's a no no with FCC per their spectrum agreement in regardless to tiered data users
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

But Verizon could can still block unlimited data users who tether. That portion FCC was fine with.

5. Tortri thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tortri

The reason I think tethering will be free is primarily the new ipad can tether for free. Which tells me it was because of LTE and I am assuming they would do the same with a LTE iphone but I do see what you are saying. Guess we'll find out.

6. notkodysmith macrumors newbie

wait...hold on...

so you're telling me that when i upgrade to the iPhone 5 and i am forced out of my unlimitted plan, i will get the teathering (at least) for free? does that include a wifi hotspot?

7. mac.cali macrumors 65816

No I'm saying you can have unlimited but you just have to pay the $30 add on fee.

8. notkodysmith macrumors newbie

what i meant to say was...

i have benn "grandfathered" into the unlimitted plan, but presuming the next iPhone is 4g, then "grandfather verizon" will kick me out of his will and i will have to get one of the tiered data plans. then i will get tethering for free? does that include free hotspot?