The new iPod touch does factime without a wireless signal....

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kannesss, Sep 28, 2010.

1. kannesss macrumors 6502a

any way to get this to happen on the iPhone 4? I have one, just using as an iPod touch until i can get cancel my other phone contract first. I want to facetime, and I thought you had to have a wireless signal for a second to get the call...but iPods can do it... any help?

2. bripab007 macrumors 6502

You have to have a wi-fi data connection to the WWW for FaceTime to work on the iPod. This is no different than the iPhone.

3. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Eh? You need a connection to make a connection :S

They use wifi just like the iphone 4 does to do facetime

4. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do I get it to do facetime then? I have wifi..

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Didn't 4.1 bring in the ability to initiate a FaceTime call using an email address? I'm not sure if this would work one an iPhone or not, but may be worth looking at.

6. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've never used facetime, how do you start a call? When I go into contacts, and click on a number or email address it just says either no sim installed or for the email, just opens up a new email..

7. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

Scroll to the bottom of the contacts card, there should be a button there that says Facetime, along with Text Message, Share Contact, and Add to Favorites.

8. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

It only has three boxes, text message, share contact, and add to favorites...

9. bripab007 macrumors 6502

10. jamexman macrumors newbie

Remember, he doesn't have an iPod. He has an iPhone 4 without a sim card. As far as I know, so far the iPhone 4 requieres activation by sending a pesky sneaky txt message.... So if he doesn't have a sim card, I guess no txt to carrier to activate FaceTime. May change or already changed with latest ios?

11. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I have a sim, it's just one I cut down to fit in the micro sim. It's a sim from someone else phone though

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats probably why it doesnt work.
    You need an active official sim to activate it.
    If you're JB there's also another way around it if you're using it unlocked on an unofficial carrier.
    Without a sim at all it probably wont work.

13. vanboi macrumors newbie

Try go to settings---phone and enable FaceTime

14. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the thing is I put the micro sim back in it. It won't let me even open the phone settings tab without a sim. The sim is active, so when I put it in it opened the features and I tried activated it, but the activation never went through. So I guess I'll just use fring and wifi until I can get the real thing to work. Thanks for the help though