Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have to wonder who wants the likes of a Mac Pro, besides Pixar.
Me....;)

It's not just about the horsepower.
I don't want a mac with 3 or 4 external drives attached, connected to maybe 2 ports.

This is why I love my cMP, the internal expansion is priceless.

Reactions: stevekr

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I await the new Mac mini with a maxed-out M1 Max SoC, after that I would be looking towards the (rumored) smaller Mac Pro (Mac Cube, PLEASE) with a pair of maxed-out M2 Max SoCs in 2024...?

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
New Mac mini, new larger iMac; both no later than Spring 2022...

Mac Pro lineup; Mac Pro, smaller Mac Pro (a return of the Cube?), & a possible iMac Pro; all previewed at WWDC 2022, shipping December 2022...

Transition to all Apple silicon complete...!

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
"Classic MacPro"
= MacPro5,1 or older
= the "Cheese grater"
Okay. Got to admit, open the door to all the parts. I think the G series Mac Pro had a drop down door on the side.
The round black Pro was cute.
Some people here want a new Mac Cube. I agree with the concept.
Ya thinks the slot load drive could make a comeback?
A multimedia machine could stand to include Blu-ray.
Not everyone watches movies on the Internet.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Okay. Got to admit, open the door to all the parts. I think the G series Mac Pro had a drop down door on the side.
The round black Pro was cute.
Some people here want a new Mac Cube. I agree with the concept.
Ya thinks the slot load drive could make a comeback?
A multimedia machine could stand to include Blu-ray.
Not everyone watches movies on the Internet.
The original Cheesegrater was, well, great...

The G-series with the side that dropped out with the motherboard on it, those were not Mac Pros, they were Power Macs...

Less said about the Trashcans, the better...?

As for a new Cube, most certainly yes...! Seems it would be perfect for the Jade 2C SoC (two M1 Max SoCs lashed together)...?

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
My PC is a 23 inch Dell AIO.
It came with 4 GB RAM.
Even in 2015, it was stupid.
I almost broke everything trying to add a 2nd 4 GB RAM stick.
It was laptop RAM that lays flat, one on top the other.
RAM area was confined.
It makes sense to make a computer easy to deal with.
I like the idea of having access to the inside.
I got 4 GB RAM for about $40.
Nothing about Apple goes that way.
If Apple must lock stuff down, provide plenty of memory and storage from the start and I think the Pro min could and will do that.
The basic (current) mini is all I need.
I see the value of making a mini for those who want more.

Reactions: Micky Do

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Completely gutted. I was excited when the M1 was introduced last year, but then to realize that it would not support multiple monitors. Then in today’s announcement to hear that the Pro and the Max can support 2 and 3 displays respectively…. SIGH. At this point, I’m hoping for a by year-end release although it may not be until Spring 2022.

Reactions: chrisdazzo

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
A
Completely gutted. I was excited when the M1 was introduced last year, but then to realize that it would not support multiple monitors. Then in today’s announcement to hear that the Pro and the Max can support 2 and 3 displays respectively…. SIGH. At this point, I’m hoping for a by year-end release although it may not be until Spring 2022.

I read on MR that the Max supports up to 4 displays.

• Wow
Reactions: beach bum

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Well, that was f***ing disappointing. I'm sure the people that buy the new MBP's will be curious why the display supports 120Hz, but the HDMI port doesn't?! :eek:

But, we got HomePod mini's in 3 new colours and a lower-priced tier for Apple Music. Totally makes up for not giving us the new Mini that we wanted. You rock Apple.

Yes....I'm pouting...been waiting since they f***ed up the last mini for one that would suffice for a new HTPC. Nope. Still waiting. Still making do with an AppleTV. *sigh*

Yes - I actually want to run my 4k TV that supports 120Hz (that I bought in March) at that refresh rate Apple.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not really hard. Just look in System Preferences under Audio Input. Nothing to see there.

You may want to read yourself carefully. I never denied the headset port. You’re referring to another poster.
Also, I actually own a 2018 Mini and assure you there is no combo port — just analogue audio out.

youre assuring me did you actually try it fully? I noticed you did NOT disagree specifically about it. Ring a combo port with the right connector as I’ve stated before. Interesting.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
youre assuring me did you actually try it fully? I noticed you did NOT disagree specifically about it. Ring a combo port with the right connector as I’ve stated before. Interesting.

That last Mac mini that had a combo input/output jack was the 2012. The 3 models after that do not have an audio input. No one has to try it, you can look in ASP and there is no audio input hardware in the computer at all. Thats great the MBP has one, but there's a reason the Mac mini has a headphone icon above the jack.

Reactions: Nütztjanix

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Personally I would have been completed surprised if they refreshed Mac Mini again today.

Today was the day they wanted to shine the spotlight on their most important product in the Mac lineup.

Mac Mini will never be a priority in the lineup.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Once and for all: a new/updated Mac mini won't see the daylight this year. Fact. ;):p

Personally I would have been completed surprised if they refreshed Mac Mini again today.
Hey, but they updated the Mac mini. Now you get 2x the SSD size as before.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Post from Reddit, so they would’ve had to forgo 2 Thunderbolt 4 ports to accommodate the 48gbs transfer rate of hdmi 2.1 (thunderbolt 4 is only 40 gbs)

“ There are almost certainly 4 TB4/PCIe4 channels. The fourth one is likely split between the SD card and the HDMI port (and perhaps a couple other peripherals, we'll have to see what System Information says next week). HDMI 2.1 utilizes up to 48Gb, TB4 has a 40Gb channel. You do the math. Even with the SD card using only a lane or two, a lot of the HDMI 2.1 benefits wouldn't be there. “

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Post from Reddit, so they would’ve had to forgo 2 Thunderbolt 4 ports to accommodate the 48gbs transfer rate of hdmi 2.1 (thunderbolt 4 is only 40 gbs)

“ There are almost certainly 4 TB4/PCIe4 channels. The fourth one is likely split between the SD card and the HDMI port (and perhaps a couple other peripherals, we'll have to see what System Information says next week). HDMI 2.1 utilizes up to 48Gb, TB4 has a 40Gb channel. You do the math. Even with the SD card using only a lane or two, a lot of the HDMI 2.1 benefits wouldn't be there. “
“The silicon doesn’t support it” arguments don’t really work now that Apple designs the silicon. Apple wouldn’t have needed to forgo 3 ports, they would have needed to include two more channels.

Reactions: AleRod

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
“The silicon doesn’t support it” arguments don’t really work now that Apple designs the silicon. Apple wouldn’t have needed to forgo 3 ports, they would have needed to include two more channels.

i did say 2 ports but yeah you’re right they could choose just to have 2 more channels as they’re in control of everything

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
I await the new Mac mini with a maxed-out M1 Max SoC, after that I would be looking towards the (rumored) smaller Mac Pro (Mac Cube, PLEASE) with a pair of maxed-out M2 Max SoCs in 2024...?
Looking at the precedent these M1 Pro and Max chips set prise wise for the MacBooks.. I fear the prices for a Pro specced mini (let alone an AS based Mac Pro). Remember how we all used to think that Apple could now lower the prices because now they make their own chips in-house? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: roundski and ekwipt

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
You can get a lot more bang for buck for PC than a Mac Pro. The latest consumer of both chips coming out by the end of the year would wipe the floor in most tasks vs the Mac Pro, if you need to run Apple Pro Apps that is a different story but for say Adobe, most video editing programs, most audio programs and pretty much all 3D programs your better off buying a PC, but now with the new Apple Silicone chips announced things will get very interesting!

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
You can get a lot more bang for buck for PC than a Mac Pro. The latest consumer of both chips coming out by the end of the year would wipe the floor in most tasks vs the Mac Pro, if you need to run Apple Pro Apps that is a different story but for say Adobe, most video editing programs, most audio programs and pretty much all 3D programs your better off buying a PC, but now with the new Apple Silicone chips announced things will get very interesting!

One issue none of PC cases are attractive as iMac, Mac mini or Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.