Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
And to further the discussion farther I don't think Apple will do anything about the Mac Mini but make it weaker and more expensive. Just saying.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
And to further the discussion farther I don't think Apple will do anything about the Mac Mini but make it weaker and more expensive. Just saying.
I hope they don't go down this path, but I fear they are going to vacate the mid-range headless market.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Doing anything other than improving the mini would be stupid. The lack of 4 cores was most hopefully the last stupid thing they do with the mini. The mini serves many purposes. Sure, mostly for the lower end but just think how many it brings into the Mac fold. More accessories! More IOS devices! More iTunes!

The mini is the perfect gateway for new user or mover from Windows and a great niche market for the customizer who likes to tinker and appreciates a small, fast, SILENT machine. Long live the mini!

phrehdd

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2008
When we had rumors of a new design pro, I totally thought they were going to do a stackable mini pro.

Maybe they can still pull it off.

Well I admit I like the idea as I am an advocate for module style. Given the footprint of the Mini, the catch might be having to consider additional power than the power supply used presently. I do believe it is doable and again, totally appreciate your vision.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Wrong.....all you need is an iPad Proo_Otaken from the gospel of Tim;)

LOL, too funny! He really is hung up on that silly stupid concept. I'll be happy to do a John Henry thing. Me with my power desktop, keyboard and mouse, and someone with an iPad Pro. Any bets? Get real Tim.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Seems like every iteration of the Mac mini gets rid of something people care about. The 2012 lacked a dGPU, the 2014 lacked quad-cores and removable RAM, so what will the 2016 lack? Where could Apple go wrong this time?

Reactions: phrehdd

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Seems like every iteration of the Mac mini gets rid of something people care about. The 2012 lacked a dGPU, the 2014 lacked quad-cores and removable RAM, so what will the 2016 lack? Where could Apple go wrong this time?

replace all ports with a single usb-c! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Minor bump up to a "good enough" Broadwell processor.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

2016 will lack a Mini. For the market niche Apple is targeting, the 2014 is still good enough.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Minor bump up to a "good enough" Broadwell processor.
That might be just it. The Mac mini has historically used chips from the MacBook Air. No skylake for Air, thus none for Mac mini either. Not to mention they would have to use Iris Pro graphics if they chose skylake, and we all know that Apple treats those graphics as "high-end".

How would you guys react if this happened?

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
That might be just it. The Mac mini has historically used chips from the MacBook Air. No skylake for Air, thus none for Mac mini either. Not to mention they would have to use Iris Pro graphics if they chose skylake, and we all know that Apple treats those graphics as "high-end".

How would you guys react if this happened?

It's reasonable to assume you are correct. The Mini is usually a gen behind on processors.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Isn't Broadwell just a shrink of Haswell? Meaning that Broadwell will also have the different CPU sockets for the i7s, so that Apple would have to build an additional motherboard to be able to offer a quad processor for the Mini? Yes?

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Isn't Broadwell just a shrink of Haswell? Meaning that Broadwell will also have the different CPU sockets for the i7s, so that Apple would have to build an additional motherboard to be able to offer a quad processor for the Mini? Yes?

Yes! Which would make it absolutely impossible for Apple to offer the quad-core option. Apple couldn't possibly manufacture two different motherboard options for the Mini... :p

Reactions: Miat

phrehdd

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2008
For some reason I find it difficult to think of the words "mini" and "pro" used together in a device name.

I appreciate your challenge there but then again, Apple doesn't have that issue on putting "pro"on any upper line model they want even if the guts are somewhat yesterday's news.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Agreed, but the Quad i7 Mini gave people a taste of that possibility.

For many years there has been much demand and complaining that there's no standalone computer between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro. It's been so long that I don't see Apple doing it, especially with their post-PC-era attitude...but man, the demand would be huge.

Yes, the Quad i7 mini was a good middle ground and I still use it for my semi-pro video stuff. Apple would rather have people buy the expensive mac pro or more profitable imac instead of making a good mini. The mini was designed to be an entry level mac to get people to switch over from Windows, but those days are over...

Would love to see a mini with quad plus an independent GPU...but...I can dream. It is not in the interest of Apple to create such a mac anymore. Those who desire this will have to buy a Mac Pro.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
If Apple were as 'green' as they claim to be, the mini Pro would be the first Mac they'd make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.