The New Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Good3rz, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Good3rz macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am a student at university going into my second year looking at buying a base entry Mac Mini with the available student discount. I've used Windows for years now but after getting my iPad i feel the Mac Mini and Lion OS would offer a better user experience. Whilst I'm pretty certain of the purchase I have a few things I need clearing up before I go ahead with it, so would appreciate any feedback!

1. Is the computer suitable for use with GarageBand with only 2gb RAM, whislt don't suppose I'll use too many tracks, I don't want the system lagging! If 2GB isn't enough, where is the best place to buy 2x4GB cards?

2. Is leaving it on 24/7 an issue, I see it doesn't consume much energy but more worried about overheating?

3. Do pages files export properly to .word documents as my university work needs to be submitted in that format?

4. I assume it works with all HDTV's with a HDMI cable? I'm using a standard 24" tv as a dual monitor for my current laptop with no issues.

Thanks for your help in advance,

A soon to be convert,

Good3rz

2. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

2GB is just barely enough - but it is easy to upgrade. I use Crucial, they have a system scanner which will guarantee compatibility with your system. There may be other options in the US which I'm unfamiliar with.

People have left Mac Minis switched on for years without issue, but it will get warm if it's working hard. Why do you want it on all the time? As a student, I imagine your finances will be somewhat limited, and every cent spent on electricity is a cent that can't be spent on beer.

Pages exports .doc with no problems.

You can connect any TV with a HDMI cable, no problem.

3. Good3rz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, unsure I'd be able to use crucial as I am in the United Kingdom. Ha Ha good point about the beer situation ;) thanks for clearing the rest up!

4. Brenzo macrumors regular

Crucial has a UK shop, even though their HQ is in the US. Here's the link: http://www.crucial.com/uk/

Also, I highly recommend them. I have used them in the past numerous times and will likely be using them again when I get my Mini to upgrade to 8GB.

5. Josh4u macrumors newbie

Mac Mini has features that contradicts its name and I think that as a gadget to go with students, it can perform well and provide the benefits that any student will value.