The new mac minis

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by elec999, Aug 28, 2007.

1. elec999 macrumors regular

Do the new mac minis have new chipset, better cooling, etc. Or just cpu upgrades to core 2 duo.
    Thanks

2. lonegeek macrumors member

lonegeek

3. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

Cooling was fine with the Intel Core Duo, so it'll be fine with the Core 2 Duo.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, the update is speedy but I was hoping Apple would have incorporated the SR chipset which is more efficient, the mini's have Merom. :(

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Merom is not a Chipset - it's the Architecture of the CPU. Santa Rosa is a Chipset, which may or may not contain a Merom CPU. The Mac Minis run on the Napa chipset.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Apparently thay have an upgraded memory controller. They can take up to 3GB of RAM from 2GB.

7. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Here's a picture of the email Apple sent out.

8. elec999 thread starter macrumors regular

To me it looks like they did change the chipset, since its got the 950 video instead of the 945. And I also remember that it was said that the mac mini cannot handle the head of the merom, so they have changed the cooler the copper.
    Thanks

9. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

Dunno where you got those specs, but all the Intel Mac Minis have used the GMA 950 from their inception. The original MacMini (G4) used a Radeon GPU.

http://support.apple.com/specs/macmini/Mac_mini_Early_2006.html

http://support.apple.com/specs/macmini/Mac_mini_orig.html

:apple:

10. elec999 thread starter macrumors regular

11. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

Actually there isn't really. you summed it up well. Oh....there's ILIFE 08 if you count that, and the ability to have 3GB ram.

12. mBurns macrumors 6502

Although the upgrades for the mini aren't 'life changing', they're definitely appreciated and in my eyes needed. I think the main goal of the Mini's upgrades was to go from Core Duo (32-bit) to Core 2 Duo (64-bit). Although not a lot has changed with the upgrades the Mac Mini has received, I'd partially consider one if I was looking for a desktop because of its 64-bit chip architecture.

13. elec999 thread starter macrumors regular

For my needs (I dont game).The mac mini is plenty fast for everyday usage. And the new minis are even faster. They probably the best computers I have used. I will never buy a desktop, from now on mac minis, and laptops.
    Thanks