The new Mac Pro 2009 firmware update- now it won't boot.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by quantum003, Feb 27, 2010.

1. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I am typing this from my Mac Mini since my 2009 Mac Pro (6 months old) no longer boots. I did the new Mac Pro firmware update yesterday and everything seemed OK, didn't think about it too much. However, today the computer froze when I launched Firefox, couldn't make Force Quit work, and finally hard-powered down the computer. Booting it up again, it goes back to the grey "firmware update" screen, with the bar on the bottom of the screen. Except it gets stuck about 1/4th of the way and never completes.

I think this is a firmware update issue since it looks just like the firmware updater, and I just did the update. Anyone else have any ideas? I already removed all unnecessary components, etc. Thanks.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There are some firmware recovery downloads on the Apple site for restoring firmware when the machine fails to do it.

Firmware Restoration CD 1.8

Might be a newer one out than the January edition, or you can lug the machine down to an Apple Store and they will do it also.

3. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Hi Sun Baked, thanks very much for your timely and helpful advice- I'm back up and running again! :D

4. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    A little OT but I'm looking for a computer for home and am debating on a mac mini or finally stepping up to a Mac Pro. I've been wanting to get into Editing more. You've had a Mac Pro for 6 months and you bought it new, you mind sharing your thoughts on it?

5. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Sure no prob. :) Technically I didn't buy it new, Apple gave the Mac Pro to me instead of repairing my liquid-cooled G5 after it died.

I really do just love it- the thing is a beast. I have the single processor model with just 4 RAM slots, but I've got 12GB in 3 of those slots, and it quickly devours even the nastiest tasks I throw at it. I really like how easy it is to open the case, swap out hard drives, add/remove PCI-e cards, RAM, etc. Even the optical drives are a snap to pop in and out... and other than this firmware update issue, it's never given me a lick of trouble.

If you're a "Power User", I think you should step it up to the pro. The degree to which you can customize and pimp out your Mac Pro is enormous, not so much with the Mac Mini.