The New Mac Pro ; Sign of divide a Mac Pro line

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Amethyst, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Amethyst macrumors 6502

May be the new mac pro is sign of divide a Mac Pro line from Apple.

The first one is Desktop-class tower.
    Single CPU (Quad-Core Xeon 3500 Series)
    Single Socket Mainboard (Support 8GB Max)

An Workstation-Class tower.
    Dual CPU (8-Core Xeon 5500 Series)
    Dual Socket Mainboard (Support 32GB Max)

Keep the eye on Next revision, MR

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. myca macrumors 6502

So is the base model mac pro the mystical xMac finally arrived, but priced like a workstation :)

Edit:

They did pretty much the same when the dual core G5s were released, they had two single dual core processor models, and one high end dual dual core. Then the line evened out with the first mac pros all quad cores, followed by the high end 8 core, then the line evened out again with;
    So I'm sure the line will even out, it's just a pain for someone like me who was planning on getting the base model mac pro, as the higher end ones would be over kill for my needs, and beyond my budget, but because I'm a grumpy bugger I'm gonna build a hackintosh for half the price instead!!

4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

If they continue with the current SP/DP setup, then we'll see 6 cores for the SP and 12 cores for the DP with Westmere.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Frugal might be another way to describe yourself. ;) :p

6. aibo macrumors 6502

So the "xMac" has finally arrived... you just pay the price of a Mac Pro. Haha.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Pretty much, the difference being a workstation chip vs. a desktop chip. That have the same quantity pricing from Intel. :eek: :p

8. myca macrumors 6502

Hmm, you could say that, but being grumpy and frugal could save my hide during this global meltdown, we're doomed I tell ya :eek:

I just hope the hackintosh doesn't cause me too many sleepless nights, but I've heard of reports of people running the same software (Logic and Pro Tools) and hardware (MOTU firewire interface) that I primarily want the machine for. All my other computing needs I'll keep to either my macbook, or current powermac, that way if I get the machine stable it should stay stable, if not it'll be a kick ass gaming rig, and I'm sick of playing FPS games with a 360 pad, it just isn't the same :mad:

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

LOL :D

Hopefully, you'll still get some sleep. ;) At this point, I think I'll wait for Snow Leopard, as I can wait, and don't want to have to pay for a retail copy now, and again in a few months or so. I just see it as a waste of $$$ at this point. ;)

10. myca macrumors 6502

That's one of my problems with having to use Pro Tools, knowing Digidesign it won't be compatible with Snow Leopard until at least 6 months after release, so to run a PT 8 based system I'll need 10.5.5/6, whereas on my macbook I'm still running 10.5.4 as version 7.4 isn't supported on the latest OS, and Digi are buggers for having their software/hardware broken by updates.

So no Snow leopard for me until Digi say I can :(

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

That sounds as bad as dealing with RAID (hardware). :eek: :p

12. myca macrumors 6502

And that's just for the LE version which is all I need (and can afford) for my home setup. You should see the restrictions (and price) on the HD systems regarding supported hardware and software, that's why there's Pro studios still running G4s/G5s and 10.3/10.4, cause once you've got the HD rig up and running in a stable manner, you pretty much leave it be.

13. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

with $800 gap between Low-end Mac Pro and High-end Mac Pro (with higher and Highest)

It completly divide a mac pro line

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Nah, Frugal would be the 2.26GHz Octad with 6Gig RAM. Going for any of the MP Quads is just non compos mentis!
    (IOW: bonkers, cracked, psycho, batty, cuckoo, loony, loopy, loco, nuts, screwy, bananas, crackers, wacko, off one's rocker, out of one's tree, around the bend, mad as a hatter, buggy.) :D

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

LMAO! :D