The New MacBook and MainStage/Logic Pro X

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by sasha.danielle, Mar 15, 2015.

1. sasha.danielle macrumors regular

I'm pretty excited about this laptop. I'm a writer, grad student and university instructor, so this machine excites me to no end. It seems like it would be great for hauling to class, working at the library etc. And for my more involved tasks, I can do that at home on an iMac, so I'm not too worried about that.

However, I'm also a musician (when I get the time). And for a while I've been thinking about ditching all my 'real-world' guitar pedals (which, especially the analog ones, tend to break down, or react oddly with the electrical wiring in different buildings) for a more dependable electronic rig. Plus taking a MacBook on stage is easier than a whole whack of pedals. I've been eyeing up a few apps, MainStage being one of them.

Do you guys think this new MacBook could run that live? It definitely meets the minimum requirements, but I doubt that those requirements really mean smooth operation either.

I don't really intend to do much recording, if any, on it, so I'm not too worried about Logic Pro X (though if it ran LPX, that would definitely be a bonus). I'm mostly concerned with MainStage.

I should say too, that I'm excited enough for this, that the MainStage thing might not necessarily be a dealbreaker, but I'd still like to know what I'm getting myself into.

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

3. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

Well, like I said the music isn't really a central use, more an idea I've only been toying with. And like I said, I don't need to do any recording on it. Maybe just use MainStage to run effects on stage. I definitely understand that the rMBP is the ideal for musicians, but can I get away with the nMB for my limited use?

4. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

i'd get the 13". More real screen estate and not to mention USB port.

----------

Recording is more storage-bound rather than CPU. Effects is the one that consumes CPU. If you really want to know if the nMB is enough for your work then get it and test it out. You can always return prior 14 days.

5. cycledance Suspended

6. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

The 13" non-retina macbook pro is a better and (in my opinion) best value proposition at the low end of mac notebooks at the moment for musicians.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

8. jblongz macrumors member

If you're looking for a lightweight laptop with some casual use of pro audio apps, consider the macbook air with maxed ram and cpu. The new MacBook is not a great choice...it is intended for a market of users who are truly minimalists (web, itunes, office).

9. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I use Logic X and MainStage. There's no way I'd recommend the new MB for it. While it'll work, I don't really understand the sense in it, when the Air and 13" Pro exist. I use a 2013 Air 13", and it does fantastic with Logic.

10. jblongz macrumors member

Oh and remember... its fanless! NOT a good situation for cpu intensive work.

11. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Because like I said, using Mainstage (or done other equivalent) live was my main intention anyway. You're saying all I need for that is my iPad air 2?