The new MacBook Pro models LED backlit Vs LCD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by star555, Mar 10, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

My neighbor is going to buy his first computer and is looking at the new 17-inch MacBook Pro , and has asked me what the difference is between ..

A. The 17-inch MacBook Pro, which ships with standard LCD back lighting technology

and

B. Apple offers high-resolution LED backlit screens as an option for the 17-inch model. These larger LED backlit displays, which are 1,920-by-1,200 pixels, are mercury-free,
    arsenic-free, and cost $100 extra.

as I am a new switcher myself, I really need some advice to pass on to my neighbor so ....... is the $100 extra LED backlit screens option really worth the extra money ..?
    how different does a 17-inch MacBook Pro LCD backlit screen look compared to a LED backlit display ..?

2. tstreet macrumors newbie

tstreet

The pros and cons

One if the biggest advantages of the LED vs. the LCD, is that the LED offers a brighter screen while using less battery.

The Apple store states that by using an LED, that the battery life can be extended by 30 minutes.

On a personal note, I prefer the 1920x1080 screen resolution, as there is more room to work.

In general, I prefer an LED screen to that of a an LCD one. But I have not seen the new MBP's in a side to side comparison.

3. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

I do believe LED backlit displays offer higher contrast and better colour reproduction too.

I would personally go for the higher res, LED backlit screen. Some people might find the higher res too much in a smaller screen for text etc

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK.. I need to correct something here. :rolleyes:
    Please use the correct terms.

Both systems have TFT-LCD Displays.
    However one uses the newer LED backlight (Light emitting Diode) and the other, the older CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps).

For the record, LED backlights don't wear out as quickly, nor will they become dim over time, instead they'll remain bright for the life of the equipment. Plus they're more economical on power consumption.

CCFL's do become dimmer as they're used because essentially it's a very thin florescent tube.

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Thank you. I was going to post this since people are confusing LCD with LED/CCFL.

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

isn't it true that all the Santa Rosa MBP except the 17 inch already have LED backlit LCDs?
    so every MBP since then, including the new penryn MBP have LED backlit LCD.

the hi res LED is a totally different entity.

correct me if i'm confused in this

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Currently, at the top end of Apple's MBP 17" there are two systems..
    One has LED backlight and the other doesn't, unfortunately reading Apples site, it's not that clear...
    So, I would assume the optional High Resolution version does have LED backlight,
    however the standard version doesn't.

See attachment or visit Apple.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Attached Files:

8. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Yes, by all means yes. It is worth it.

9. scott9s macrumors member

Yes, go hi-res (expect a wait though).

One thing, I think if you not going hi-res, you should just get the 15". that's just my opinion.