The new MacBook Pro with Force Touch = SSD speed overload!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm not sure I've ever seen speeds like this without RAID being involved...

APPLE SSD SM0256G.

Is this a new interface to attain such sequential performance?

Attachments

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I'm not sure I've ever seen speeds like this without RAID being involved...

APPLE SSD SM0256G.

Is this a new interface to attain such sequential performance?
It's been known for quite a while, you must've missed it.

The rMBP's been using PCIe instead of SATA since late 2013.

Reactions: yukyuklee

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Yes they run PCIe 3.0 4 lane with new Samsung SSDs for insane performance. The 2015 13" and 15" are both running the faster drives.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
As an update, here's the info from System Report of the 2015 15" MacBook Pro:

Vendor:Apple
Product:SSD Controller
Physical Interconnect: PCI
Link Width:x4
Link Speed:8.0 GT/s
Description:AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

That's clearly quite the improvement since my 2014 5K iMac's SSD:

Vendor:Apple
Product:SSD Controller
Physical Interconnect: PCI
Link Width:x2
Link Speed:5.0 GT/s
Description:AHCI Version 1.00 Supported

venom600

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Wow the 1TB model (I assume) really is something else....
Indeed it is. If it were in a working computer (mine was effectively DOA).

When I installed Windows 10 in bootcamp, I ran the bootcamp installer and it said I had to restart. I've done that before a dozen times and it takes a while to shut down and reboot. On this machine I literally turned my head to answer the phone, decided not to, and turned my head back and Windows was sitting there on the desktop. I thought it had failed to reboot, so I did it again and it rebooted so fast that it left my jaw on the floor. The time from clicking "Restart" to it sitting there on the desktop waiting for me was less than 10 seconds. I've used SSDs for a few years and I've never seen performance like that.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Indeed it is. If it were in a working computer (mine was effectively DOA).

When I installed Windows 10 in bootcamp, I ran the bootcamp installer and it said I had to restart. I've done that before a dozen times and it takes a while to shut down and reboot. On this machine I literally turned my head to answer the phone, decided not to, and turned my head back and Windows was sitting there on the desktop. I thought it had failed to reboot, so I did it again and it rebooted so fast that it left my jaw on the floor. The time from clicking "Restart" to it sitting there on the desktop waiting for me was less than 10 seconds. I've used SSDs for a few years and I've never seen performance like that.
Crazy. What was DOA? Symptoms?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Locked up hard after a time machine restore, then wouldn't do internet recovery (failed multiple times), and now it won't turn on at all. They are sending a replacement.
Ouch. That stinks. My friend's new 15" MBP had some oddities, too. He got it, used it for about a day, rebooted it, entered his password (FileVault enabled), and then it went straight to a black screen with a white circle with the slash through it. He had to do an Internet recovery last night.

Very odd...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.