The New Macbook: Will there EVER be a firewire adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by charlestrippy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

Okay, so I know the obvious difference between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro but here's why I ask this..

So I currently have a Macbook Pro - i love it, great machine, however, it's just "too big" - it'd be really nice to slim down a pound or two (and a couple inches). Right now, I'm not doing much editing on it (because I do that on my mac pro) but occasionally, if traveling or in a bind - i'll use my MBP for editing.

Now, with the lack of FireWire on the new Macbook - that limits me in the event that I would need to do an "emergency edit" or something - or if I need to dump HD footage on my computer (if traveling) - Basically, i'm going to be going on tour with a band in January overseas and i'm going to need a smaller/lighter laptop, but one that will at least let me dump footage on it and maybe make light edits.

Now that you have a brief backstory, here's my question:

Do you think that there soon will be an adapter or cable or something that will make the current macbook import video with FireWire through it's USB or ethernet or anything? Or do you think it's a lost cause and it's just not going to be possible and that I should just get another MBP and deal with the heavily load (i know it's only a pound, but over time, traveling that can get heavy)?

You guys seem to know a lot more about this sort of stuff so that's why I wanted to get your thoughts

Thanks!!

-Charles

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's highly doubtful you'll see FireWire without a hardware revision to add the port.