The New MBP Retina 13 inch and Video,Photo Editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raedov, May 19, 2013.

1. raedov macrumors newbie

hello guys

I am considering buying a new MBP 13 inch Retina , but can only afford the more powerful 13 inch MBP (3.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB Solid State Drive , integrated Graphics).

Can this machine handle these programs Final Cut Pro , Photoshop CS6 , Lightroom and Parallels ?

Could anyone please explain to me what is the Dedicated GPUs useful for ?
    sorry for my English it is not my Native Language :)

Thank you

2. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

If you are serious about your work in photography/video editing you should highly considering getting a computer with a dedicated GPU. It'll help out big time especially.

If you just do it as a hobby and you aren't looking to spend more money than what you already plan than yeah it can run it.

3. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

If you can wait for the next release of the 13" Retina MacBook Pro with the HD5000 graphics then it should be able to handle your needs quite well. It's only a few months away and the upgrade from the HD4000 to the HD5000 will be quite nice. It won't be as fast as the current 15" with a dedicated Gt650m but it will be a good improvement over the HD4000 in the current 13" MacBook Pro with Retina display.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

really ?

i doubt it

most applications do not even use graphics card for video or photo editing.

CPU and Memory are your most important , The 15" has a quad core which will make video editing better.

Personally i have the 13" retina and it works great for video and photo editing, I have a attached a 560GTX eGPU to it and it does not make any difference in performance(maybe 5% at best).

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. Quite elegantly as a matter of fact.

The non-retina is fine. Take the savings, add a few bucks and get a good external monitor for media editing. You'll need the extra screen space anyway. When not editing, enjoy the portability. Also, the cMBP is still user upgradable. Put 16GB of RAM in that thing.

6. raedov thread starter macrumors newbie

7. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

CUDA is a main advantage to having the GPU for Premiere Pro.

8. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I have a late 2008 MBP and I never noticed a bit of difference if I utilized the 9600M GT when video editing. The only time it ever seems to have made any difference is running games....

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

10. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Dude I use CUDA with this rMBP it's actually a huge reason why I didn't buy a Macbook from last year (AMD chips, despite support for OpenCL) and it's even on the website saying that it's part of the feature. Obviously those Quardro's will preform better but this GPU will preform better than OpenCL or the CPU when it comes to rendering and playing back videos (as in videos with heavy editing and not simple copy and paste) and it outputs them way faster.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/features

http://youtu.be/S-vBV7x8TFs?t=2m23s

----------

I'm not saying that the HD4000 can't run it but obviously if he's serious about his work (watch the link video) you'll see that if he's going to be doing complex editing with effects and such the GPU will serve a purpose. If he's just doing the simple copy and paste cut the footage and just lightly color correct it with simple H.264 files than yeah he can be fine with it.

I did a simple test when I had the rMBP and I did a simple multicamera set up. Without CUDA I had to render the footage just to play it back... with CUDA I could play it back without rendering and even through in light color corrections and warp and the Macbook played it back perfectly.

Take CUDA off and the Macbook was stuttering.

11. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've used both the 13" and 15" rMBPs. I have not used Final Cut Pro and CS6 with them, but I have used Lightroom. The GPU has made no difference with the programs I run at all. If you are doing primarily photos, the GPU is almost no advantage. I've only used iMovie for video, and there the GPU made no difference at all either.

So it depends on your priorities. The 13" is way better for portability (no matter what anyone says here about going to the gym, that's not a substitute for portability) and the 15" is more powerful. But in most uses, the 15" additional power is not used.

12. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I'm not saying that the HD4000 can't run it but if he's serious about his work (watch the link video) you'll see that if he's going to be doing complex editing with effects and such the GPU will serve a purpose.

If he's just doing the simple copy and paste cut the footage and just lightly color correct it with simple H.264 files than yeah he can be fine with it, hell my 2006 Macbook would still by my main if I just did that type of editing.

I did a simple test when I had the rMBP and I did a simple multicamera set up. Without CUDA I had to render the footage just to play it back... with CUDA I could play it back without rendering and even through in light color corrections and warp and the Macbook played it back perfectly.

Take CUDA off and the Macbook was stuttering.