the New MBP... SMC Fan Control.. Not Supported?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sukanas, Oct 16, 2008.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i tried running smc fan control but it says that my laptop is not supported o_o..

btw, i was curious, the laptop did run at 80C deg when i ran wc and it runs around 65 C on average.. ie webrowing, itunes, hotter w/ aperture (i know.. ironic huh w/ glossy, lol)

but with the laptop running hot, is it necessary to have a program like smc fan control to kick in and 'force' the fan to cool it down? or should the mac be fine running hot once in a while?

note: the bottom gets hot.. not to the point where it burns but to the point where im like whoa.. i hope this laptop will be ok..

oh shoot mod, can you move this to the MBP section? my mistake.. sorry

2. kenned macrumors member

I think 80c isn't too bad. Atleast my old laptop hit 100c under full load, didn't fail. It had the 8600M GT chip though.

I wouldn't be too worried about that. It's pretty sure to say that a new version of SMC Fan Control will be coming out soon to support the newer models.;)

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

New Nvidia MCP97 chipset in the new MacBooks, likely a bit of a change in the way temps and power are controlled.

Give them time to update.

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

If you don't do any graphical intensive process you should switch on the 9400m and it'll be a lot more cool.