the new mbp vs. the quad core imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wickersty, May 2, 2010.

1. wickersty macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on the new macbook pros compared to the quad core imac thats available now. I'm mostly a software developer, so I'm sure the performance of the mbp is sufficient for that. But I'm also an avid amateur photographer, and occasional imovie/garageband user, and I'm wondering if the new mbp is powerful enough not to notice a difference between it and the quad core imac with those application types (especially aperture!)

Thnx

Jeff

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBP should be enough but quad iMac is still a lot faster. It's portability versus performance

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Many photographers actually prefer the portability of an MBP. I don't think you're going to notice much difference performance-wise - shop based on whether you need a portable.

4. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

Both use laptop components, both get hot...I prefer the mbp due to portability and resale factor

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMacs use desktop CPUs, HDs and VERY powerful mobile GPUs... iMac doesn't burn your lap like MBP does and the fact that aluminum is great heat conductor makes all Macs feel hot even when they aren't. Both have about the same resale value

Do your research before posting....