The new mini displayport is a blessing . . .

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iMav, Oct 19, 2008.

1. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Finally, we will have the ability (once the rest of the line is refreshed) to drive any display we want from any Mac. Finally we will be limited to the actual capabilities of the GPU and not by the connector available.

Specifically, I'm quite excited that the MacBooks can now drive displays requiring dual-link DVI (30" ACD, for example). Even the old GMA950 was capable of driving such a display...but the lack of the appropriate dual-link connector meant we weren't allowed to.

Probably the biggest deal will be that (I assume) the iMac's will have this new mini displayport once they are refreshed. Coupling a 24" iMac with a 30" ACD will now be possible. A non-mac pro, decent dual head setup will now be possible.

2. og1 macrumors regular

3. iMav thread starter macrumors 6502

iMav

Ask any previous-gen MacBook and iMac owners eyeing a 30" display whether they'd pay $99 to allow them to drive one.

Back in November of last year, I purchased a 15" MBP because it was the only Mac in my price range that would drive a 30" display. I ultimately sold my HP 30" display and passed along the MBP because I simply don't like laptops that big (and very much disliked the MBP's keyboard and styling). Had I been able to drive that display with a MacBook or an iMac, I wouldn've been a much happier camper.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Belkin should make a clone cable that sells for much less. Just wait awhile.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Was putting in a DVI port at least on the Pro that hard?

$99 to drive your 30" as opposed to free before?

I miss the Apple of old where they actually gave you stuff with your computer or iPod.

6. aresinferno macrumors regular

Would you rather they added on that extra $100 to the price. There are so many different connectors that people may use for their display that they might aswell not included any so we can choose which ones we want, if any. If the price was an extra $100 and the cables were included, you wouldn't have minded. But those who do not need to power any type of displays, we would be better off because we would not pay extra for an included cable.

Anyway, i see there being a great future in displayport. The mini-displayport makes the new macbook look so much nicer on the sides because there is not a huge connector visible on the side.