The New MP Release Date Prediction Poll

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fomaphone, Jan 17, 2009.

?

When Will the New Mac Pro be Released?

1. By the end of April 2009 (NAB)

21.1%
  2. By the end of May 2009 (Hey, it could happen)

7.0%
  3. By the end of June 2009 (WWDC)

56.1%
  4. Late Summer 2009 (Academic Purchase Cycle)

8.8%
  5. Winter 2009 or later (The world is ending)

7.0%
  1. Fomaphone macrumors regular

The title should say it all, but since there are so many individual little threads, I thought it might be smart to have a specific spot to post thoughts about when it will be released.

2. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

WWDC-ish time would make the most sense for me. Let's hope so!

3. TrapOx macrumors 6502

4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

5. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

6. Fomaphone thread starter macrumors regular

aye, but there's no poll in yours :D

it is neat, literally, but i thought your thread was for specs. if release date information is in there, it's mixed in with other stuff and not immediately apparent, so i still see some value in having a thread about timing of the release specifically. i'm sure a lot of people check the forum wondering this one simple question or google search it. after all, it's how i found macrumors.

i wouldn't mind seeing all of the nehalem minithreads locked or grouped and yours/this/a should i buy now? each made sticky, but i'm not familiar enough with the boards to recommend that to a mod yet.

7. TrapOx macrumors 6502

But nobody really cares.

8. deze macrumors member

deze

9. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

I'd imagine it is actually more down to when Intel get the Gainestown Xeons into Mass production. I'm sure Apple have already designed the system by now. I'm not sure if Intel would delay them beyond the middle of the year as that will be 18 months since Harpertown was released. Hopefully we will see the upgrade announced at least by WWDC.

Anytime from tomorrow would be fine with me :)

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Actually, Intel designs and manufactures Apple's logic boards. They offer a base "board", that has multiple options. Apple picks what they want, and if they want something customized a little (i.e. memory risers), Intel will oblige. ;)

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Hey ... the poll results are giving us the finger :eek:

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Get used to it. If Tim Cook takes to heart the "Mac Pro makes up a very small percentage of sales" bit, that's what Apple will give us with the next update.

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Visually. The yellow bar is the middle finger :D

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I know what you meant; I'm just saying, be prepared. :(

15. PowerPaw macrumors member

So does anyone know when HP and IBM will be releasing their Gainestown blade server updates - this will be a pretty good gauge I would say. I can't think why Apple would release an updated MP after those two as shipping in big quantities will not be as critical.

Also has Intel said anything about delays to their original forecasted release? If you set your mind to a June date I guess you shouldn't end up too disappointed ;)

With hat said, it probably wouldn't have gone down well if Intel had hinted at delays for Gainstown at their last earnings announcement :eek: I imagine that the two socket blade market is one of the sweet spots for this CPU and there should be some reasonable demand for it, though in this market who knows :(

16. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

I dont think his comments were all doom and gloom, the MP is a flagship product. Id expect an update by mid year.

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No one has indicated when things will be released (to my knowledge). Intel will announce a date before vendors will.

18. PowerPaw macrumors member

I can't help feel that the MP will get updated when Apple are ready and that should be around the same time if not sooner than for the mid-range server market (based on expected shipping volumes). I don't think (I hope at least) its not going to receive quite the same treatment as the much neglected Mac Mini.

Would Apple really want to continue shipping what will become an outdated CPU/architecture once Gainestown is available in reasonable quantities?

You can't really compare the workstation market with the server market though I guess as there are significant gains in more CPU and bandwidth when coupled with server virtualization in the datacenter which essentially comes down to reduced datacenter occupancy, reduced power and cooling per server instance = increased ROI. You can get anything from 4 - 16 servers running on the current dual socket quad-core Xeons.

The demand for this CPU for the mid-range server market I hope should provide sufficient encouragement for Intel to keep to their target deadlines.