The New Music App

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by ConnYoungy, Jul 10, 2016.

1. ConnYoungy macrumors 6502a

Is anyone else really disappointed with this design? It's so....bland!

I loved the way in iOS9 each screen would be totally differently coloured depending on the artwork of the artist, and the 'now playing' screen also was subtly coloured by that out of focus glass overlay.

Now everything's just white and plain, and SO BIG.

2. jdillings macrumors 65816

It's pretty awful from both a design and usability perspective. The only good thing about it is you can now use home sharing if you have no files in your local music library. In IOS9, you had no way to switch to home sharing if your local music library was empty.

3. ConnYoungy thread starter macrumors 6502a

What on earth made anyone think this:
    img_1346.png
    Is a better idea than this:
    ios-9-music.jpg

Also, hoping it's a bug but ALL of my playlists show under 'Recently Added' before any of the new actual music I've added does

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I disagree. Its much more usable.

5. Threejw macrumors member

Threejw

I love the new app

i wish they could add a few options like

On each song u could check its other versions, if it's available in other languages, if there are covers, remixes or more
    Or that you could explore not just genre's but other regions's charts and music in other languages like spotify
    Have the lyrics highlighted as the song plays
    Share my playlist with friends and creat smart playlists on iOS
    They seriously need to design a better interface for the ipad... It looks unfinished..

6. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Disagree, I think the new app is much more fun and intuitive. Also it appears Apple are introducing a very swiss minimalism style and card based UI in Music, as well as in Maps, News and the Home app. I expect this bold UI to continue to flow into other apps in iOS 11, I can see how Calendar, Phone, Mail and Notes could be updated to this modern design.

The iOS7 style while clean, was quite sterile. A lot of the whimsy left iOS. This new UI provides some pop, a bit of whimsy. It reminds me of the updated Pinterest app UI which I love.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

You know what it reminds me of? WebOS.

8. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think the new one is much better in just about every way.

9. Threejw macrumors member

Threejw

I'd love to see public view and play counts on songs to know how popular it is

10. onethinline macrumors member

Apart from what you think of the visual presentation itself (it's grown on me, but I do miss the art-cued color schemes for each page), the big design change in the new Apple Music is how all the content is organized. It's much clearer than it used to be: getting directly to your library, downloads, recommendations, and everything under what is now "Browse" ("New" was never accurate) makes much more sense. Performing actions on albums and songs is clearer now too (but can still be better). The biggest complaint all my friends had about the original design was how confusing it was to get around or do anything.

I do think the font size can be brought down just a little bit, though being bigger than before helps with when your iPhone is further away, which is more common in music-listening situations.

11. geekymcfly macrumors newbie

geekymcfly

I already miss the feature that allowed you to click on a artist (while playing) and be brought to that artist page.

12. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

13. Threejw macrumors member

Threejw

Its all white now cause i think they are preparing for a dark mode... Its coming

14. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

It is good but the 'now playing' screen can be improved with: always visible shuffle and repeat buttons, remove the horrible shadow and big controls and remove the rounded corners in the album art—three things I am sure won't happen.

15. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I agree the design is bland and so are the functionalities, it goes beyond me that you cannot search locally by default.

How it is by default:
    IMG_0304.PNG

How it should be by default:
    IMG_0305.PNG

Even Siri when asked "Play songs by *artist*" will start playing songs of said artist that are not in my personal library. If i'm asking to play a song by someone it's safe to assume I meant those in to Apple music!!

16. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

"Recently added" works exactly as it says: shows the recently added songs first in that list. If you edit playlist rather than importing new albums in previous sync, playlist will show first than your album. This is not a bug.

And if you don't like iOS 10 idea, what about this?
    [​IMG]
    And this?
    [​IMG]

17. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

This is a feature will be added in later beta. Don't worry.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I absolutely agree. It looks really big but in actual use I have yet to miss any buttons or sliders. It works really well and it's simple so I think the majority of users will like it a lot more. It isn't confusing, which is a major step forwards from the iOS 9 Apple Music/local music/iTunes Match mess.

19. TheTom9 macrumors member

TheTom9

I'm really not sure just yet. I really hate that some of the fonts are Really, really big, like the song and album name but on the other hand, the app feels a little more ''alive'' , not sure why, maybe it's just in my head but when i compared it to the old one, on another device, the old version felt flat. I also like that it's more simple plus I can see more of my recent music that I added to my library. Oh, and did you know you can now 3D touch on an album to start paling it?

I just miss the transparency when playing songs or when browsing albums but that's just design and i prefer usability, which the new app is better at, so i guess I like the new one more.

20. TJCooperGB macrumors newbie

TJCooperGB

I simply do not understand the rationale behind the iOS 10 design changes. It's a massive step backward. Perhaps the obsession with super-thin lightweight fonts was overdone at times but doing a complete 180 U-turn and using something akin to bolded size 15 Arial harks back to the late 90s.

After using the beta for a number of weeks now, in terms of design it is incredibly fragmented. News, Music and the Lock Screen do not match the rest of the system one bit.

21. ConnYoungy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Except that's not what it does, it shows every single one of my playlists, regardless of when it was last edited, and then UNDER those, it shows recently added music. That's either a beta bug or a silly design change

22. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Mine shows exactly as it does, a mixture of playlists and albums.
    Someone guesses beta software may run in an inconsistent state on any device. Or everyone's beta experience would not be the exact same one. Like this, my "recently added" works exactly as I think, while yours are not.
    Maybe you are AM or iTunes Match user, because I am not. But, I would like to say this is more like a beta bug than a silly design change.

23. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

I heard that they actually wanted to bring back that 90's mtv music vibe, so you're spot on :D

24. pudge104 macrumors member

I believe I saw in another thread that under Settings, Music, Downloads that there are more features.
    I think one of them is Optimize music storage. I don't have anything under Downloads except Downloaded Music. Does iCloud Music Library have to be turned on to see this?
    I have been scared to turn that on ever since the launch because of the horror stories of what it did to your personal library.

25. IronWaffle, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

The screenshots of Marvis are great. Hands down the most customizable music app in terms of functionality AND appearance. That's what I use and why I no longer fret over how Apple mishandles and abuses their music app.

Since that video they've added a few features, including a "light mode" and artist thumbnails so in Artist view you see the artist instead of one of their random albums.

That's just scratching the surface.

I just hope that whatever Apple is doing under the hood doesn't radically affect third party apps. It did with iOS 8.4.