The new NEVER - Office on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by reckless2k2, Jan 18, 2011.

1. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Since the Verizon iPhone is now a reality, here's for the new never:

Microsoft will NEVER make Microsoft Office for the iPad.

Not only are their developers too stuck on a physical keyboard and mouse, Microsoft doesn't want you to buy an iPad. They won't make it for their Mobile Platform either. They just want you to buy a "regular" computer for that type of task. And it has nothing to do with iPad 1G RAM limits either.

It's just that the innovative development occurs at Apple. Microsoft may try to put together something if they kidnap the iWork iOS team but i doubt it. They would just hold them hostage.

2. Piggie, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Why?

Microsoft have always been primarily a software company, the more machines around the world that run Microsoft software they happier they will be. They are not like Apple and keep things to themselves.

If every piece of different hardware on the planet used Microsoft software don't you think they would be the happiest company ever?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So what? Should Microsoft have to make a version of Office for every new OS that comes along?

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Because Steve Ballmer is too stuck with his "Windows everywhere" mentality.

He actually thinks Microsoft is going to get Windows 7 or 8 running on ARM tablets, the full OS, someday, and he'll hold off Office for iOS development thinking this pipe dream will someday happen and actually sell.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Windows could work and be a big hit on a tablet.

But before you say I'm stupid. I don't mean windows as it is now. I mean a totally new lightweight mobile OS that's designed to LOOK LIKE windows in certain ways, but be designed from scratch as a touch interface and very lightweight.

Msoft could then make touch based lite versions of all their programs to run on it, and people would feel at home as they are used to the look/style of it from their PC's.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

OneNote is just about to be release for iOS... so I think you need to find new "never"

PS: I don't remember the Verizon iPhone ever being a "never" it was just "not right now" kind of thing, which considering that CDMA iphone rumors have been around since 2007, I think they were pretty much right on the money.

7. raep macrumors member

raep

True but I believe Microsoft is to stuck up to realize this.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

oh yes :)

However, there may still be a percentage of people out there who would like to, or have the option of, perhaps via a dual boot to be able to run windows on a tablet.

Perhaps some very light front end for media apps and light work, but they could flip over to full windows on it, just to some things the lighter OS was not capable of.

In the same way, I know "some" Apple fans would adore being able to flip an iPad between iOS and OSX if they needed to.

We'll have to see, but I expect there will be many variations of hardware and OS/Software over the next few years now Tablets have gotten into the publics mind strongly.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Okay. I don't care anyway because I don't use virtual keyboard to make any long documents. Tablet is for better web-browsing, emailing and watching movies.

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Right...the never is FLASH

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Poor timing and a bit ignorant of a post.

Consider the release of Onenote on iOS. That directly contradicts your theory. Plus consider Microsoft's win7 mobile, a phone that does not require a keyboard and mouse as well :rolleyes:

12. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

PLUS I have Windows 7 running on my tablet right now as a touch screen and it works great

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What tablet?

14. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

It is a HP TM-2 1070-US

15. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I think Office for iOS is inevitable. One Note is the first step...

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

What reason is there to WANT Office on iPad? iWork is much cheaper, and someone will have to explain to me exactly what big-time features are missing. I can type text with a wireless keyboard, format it a little, share it with iWork.com, e-mail it, save different formats. All that for $10 for Pages. The Mac version of Pages is $20 through the App Store. I'm confused as to what killer features Word or other Office apps have that most of us can't live without. Stop feeding the Microsoft beast.

17. gatearray macrumors 65816

Now that's a catchy name! :)