The new (old?) matt display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sugarray3000, Aug 19, 2009.

1. sugarray3000 macrumors member

Hey guys, now MBP is offered with matt display. BUT isen't this "new" display just a step backwards? at the glossy display the glass goes the whole way to the frame. At the matt display the glass only goes to where the aliminium starts (like the old MBP), or is it me whos wrong?

Im not complaning, im just about to buy a new mac, and i would like one with matt display, but if the glass stops where the aluminium starts (and not going out to the frame), it will be dusty. Hope some of you can help me.

A pic so you can se what im talking about:

http://rocketsilence.com/wastebasket/matte_mbp/IMG_7295.jpg

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have no idea, but the easiest way to determine this, is too head over to your local applestore and test drive one.

slightly offtopic but hopefully I don't start a flamewar.

I was always a matte screen fan, but since having the glossy screens (late 08 model) I cannot imagine going back. The screen is awesome, I have no problems with displaying my photos (display is calibrated) and I think its definitely better then the matte.

my point (in a convoluted way) is to check both out.

3. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

4. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

If you don't know why Apple would offer the Anti-Glare display option ($50 extra by the way), then it's not for you. Just go with the standard glass screen, you won't regret the purchase.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The OP is not asking why apple is offering it but rather does the "glass" extend to the edge like the glossy. Besides your point doesn't really makes sense. A person my not know why apple is offering the matte display but still find that they need that over the glossy.

Personally I love the glossy but its not for everyone and finding out what fits your needs is more important then just saying if you don't know any better go with the glossy.

6. sugarray3000 thread starter macrumors member

thanks maflynn

Thanks maflynn.... but im not sure i can see them in the shops already, but ill try to call them.

7. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I'm a little confused by the OP. Glossy or matte...both screens are going to get dusty one way or another...:confused:

8. sugarray3000 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry if im hard to understand. I had the old macbook pro, and it was pretty hard to clean the display and catch the dirt in the edges because the frame was higher than the glass, on the glossy (new MBP) the glass goes all the way to the end of the screen..

Mflynn - I saw you leaved a comment in a thread about not ordering MBP with 7200 rpm -- why isen't it good having 7200 instead of 5400 ??

9. macjay macrumors 6502

There was no glass on the old matte MBPs, and there is no glass on the new matte MBPs.

10. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

$50 dollars more for anti-glare, less finger prints, and more dust is basically what your paying for. Personally, I think the matte MBP is only for people who use their MBP's outside a lot.

11. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

To answer your question, it will be exactly like your old screen as far as dusting.

Apple now puts a sheet of glass over the glossy LCD screen, which IMO basically is only nice for cleaning otherwise it is heavy, even more reflective then glossy and breakable.

And if you don't already keep your laptop closed when not in use, it will keep a lot of dust off your screen.