The new power brick is so cool

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Apr 21, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

I have 3 power bricks for my old SR MBP. They were warm sometimes but mostly hot. I could use them to warm my feet. Just got the i7 MBP 17". The power brick seems to have greatly improved. Even I have used the machine for hours and kept it plugged in overnight, it is as cool as if it were unused. It isn't even warm. Is it because Apple improved its design or is it due to improvements of the laptop?

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

no, it will get hot when charging the battery and operating the laptop, it will run cool when only powering the laptop.

nothing new really.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Is it physically different? If so, pics please.

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

The only thing I find odd about the new power supplies are the cord that leads from the power supply to the outlet. It could just be that its brand new and always been like this, but it feels far more plastic-y than my 2007 MBP. That ones power lead feels rubber-coated....this one feels plastic coated and is stiffer.

5. andrew086 macrumors regular

The power brick itself is only a bit bigger, but the magsafe adapter has changed design (see attached pic).

Attached Files:

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since I moved my adapter a lot, I always have the cord handing on the side of the desk I'm sitting on. So with the new cord I have 2 options: (1) have like in the picture and then double back to the table's edge; that's a big 'ol U and messes up the cable. Plus it detaches really easily; the other way (2) is to have it attached in the oppose direction of the picture. This way it just goes straight to edge of my desk—that's great right? No, it blocks the Ethernet and Firewire ports. :(

So now I have the old adapter and I'm pretty happy.

New adapter with cable strain:
    [​IMG]

New adapter blocking the Ethernet and Firewire:
    [​IMG]

Old adapter without any issues:
    [​IMG]

8. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

Good points, but I'd like to pout out that strain mentioned is there even with the old one if the cord is running from behind or the front unless you have the cable some slack, in which case the new one has no strain either. The new one would also reduce the old from the cable pulling down if you are using it on your lap too i think?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The newer adapter has it's advantages; but most of the time it doesn't work very well for me. I do have the adapter as well since it came with my laptop computer. It works when I need to stain plugged in while sitting crosslegged.

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I run the cable out back so i don't get any strain on the cable.
    Anyway if you actually have problems with it then Applecare will take care of it.. So no big deal.

11. Eleventeen macrumors newbie

I like this design *a lot* better, it seems like it would get disconnected less often from accidentally bumping it, although I can understand alphaod's issue. I don't understand why they don't give you a little bit more space between the Magsafe and the neighboring ports - on my CD MBP there's USB drives I can't use on the left hand port because they'd put too much pressure on the original design Magsafe (and I'd imagine new design too.)

12. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yes!!!! Love it...

PS: MacBook Air have been using ages ago~

13. PAC88 macrumors 6502

you can take the strain off the cord by making a small loop next to where it plugs into the side and clip it to that little clip. It's hard to explain without showing an image but I used to do this on my old g4 occasionally