The "New" Power Button On Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by oo7ml, Feb 11, 2014.

1. oo7ml macrumors 6502

Hi,

I upgraded to OS X Mavericks at the weekend and one thing still baffles me.

When my computer is on, what actually happens when i press the power button now... my computer looks like it is gone to sleep as soon as i press it, however when i turn it back on the next day, it seems like a lot of battery has been used up.

Before i upgraded, the power button used to give me a choice of what i wanted to do (which i can still get to by holding the power button down for 3 seconds)... i don't necessarily want the options back, but i would like to know what is happening my computer when i press the button on the new OS X Mavericks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance...

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

First hit on a google search.

Since you weren't very explicit, I don't know what you mean by "a lot of battery", but I know mine seems to drain the battery more than I would expect when asleep. I've noticed a 20% drain over a few days of being asleep. Will drain faster if left in cold conditions.

3. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, i had searched it and got mixed opinions... some people thought that it was different than the old sleep... and i have to agree, as you seem to receive email and the battery is drained further, however maybe this is just how the new operating system works...

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

This from MacWorld:

5. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so this is confusing... is the computer asleep or just the screen?

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Well, the macworld article is in disagreement with the apple article. I don't have maverick installed yet, so I can't tell you for sure either way. Unless they changes the behavior, the white light on the front of the macbook will blink slowly (like a slow breathing) when it is asleep.

7. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Just hold down the power button for a few seconds if you want the window that asks you what you want to do or press ctrl+eject.

8. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys... i'm happy for the macbook to go asleep as soon as i press the button IF it is actually going asleep and not just the screen...

The macbook air does not have any lights to indicate and status etc...