The new RC Vmware fusion supports Aero and runs Windows 7 very well.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mmoran27, Sep 22, 2009.

1. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Not to call you out, but do you have any proof, an article or press release maybe? I'd like to take a look, this sounds interesting... but you saying this doesn't really mean much...

2. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am running the RC. Here is a screenshot of AERO in action

I think that should be sufficient evidence.

Attached Files:

3. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Sweet! What version is it, and when is it suppose to come out? Where can I get a copy?

4. dyn macrumors 68030

This product is still under private beta. People entering the private beta signed an NDA and are therefore forbidden to disclose any information. In other words, the topic starter is violating the NDA and you'll have to wait till the product is officially announced.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You kinda wonder why there isn't more information about this on the net?

And to quote from my VMWare Fusion beta invite:

"This is a private Beta. You may not discuss any new feature publically at this time."

6. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

7. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

awesome, I can't wait for this to come out. OP, thank you for risking life and limb in violation of a boilerplate contract provision to share this with us. I pray the internetz police don't melt your mind or bury you on the moon.

8. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

Is it me, or dows W7 look an awful lot like OSX? :cool:

9. clockworkorange macrumors regular

:D Club Penguin bookmark.

Sweet! I guess it's time to dump Parallels :D

10. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

does windows 7 look like an operating system? yes. does it look anything like osx? not really.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

12. jim.arrows macrumors regular

Yep, looks like it's a private beta also; whoever is first to market will get my money! Hopefully they're both trying to coordinate public availability with the w7 official launch, which would be sweet.

13. jim.arrows macrumors regular

Looks an awful lot *better* than OSX to me; I'm so sick of graphite, FFS Apple put some color back into your OS! :mad: What's the name of the new UI that didn't make it into SL? Yeah, they need that bad, it's long overdue...

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Those screen shots make me want to install 7 on my Netbook... but that's probably not a smart thing to do, mid-semester!

15. nokitman macrumors newbie

Is this a update to VM Fusion 2? or this for a new version?
    Just asking because I just brought VM Fusion 2 and have windows 7.

16. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Nice! I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the info.

17. jon08 macrumors 65816

Parallels 5? Didn't they just release Parallels 4 not too long ago?

18. celticpride678

Not that long ago (don't have a specific date).

19. jon08 macrumors 65816

From what I know the latest version is 4.0.3846 or something like that, so it makes me wonder why announce v. 5 so fast... I'd hope it at least means that its release is imminent.

20. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

This is Fusion 3.

In the past VMware released v2 as a free upgrade to v1. I have not heard that v3 won't be the same, but we'll have to see next month when it goes live.

21. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Both Parallels and Fusion are changing their major version number...this will allow them to size each other up and see if they can get away with charging folks for the upgrade. If I had to bet, I'd say if one comes out as a free upgrade, the other will follow suit....and if the first one released is a paid upgrade, it'll be interesting to see what the competitor does.

22. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

This is what I hate about Parallels, every version they change they stop supporting their older customers. I had parallels 1.0 and they dropped support after they upgraded to 1.3 or something and I was left sucking wind. Apple updated their OS and it would no longer run. I then got 2.0 and it looks like the same thing is about to happen.

So far VMWare has been better for me. I don't mind upgrades, but not 3 or 4 months after buying it. I'm holding off until the new version is released; then I'll buy the latest Fusion for my home machine.

23. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

That is what pissed me off about Parallels. I bought (IIRC) v2 and just a few months later, they wanted another $40 or something like that for the latest version! No way.

VMware has been way more fair IMO - $80 for Fusion 1 and 2 -- v3 we'll have to see, but even if they charge an upgrade fee, it's still less than Parallels...

Fusion 2.0.6 came out today. Fusion 3 will be in time for Windows 7 retail. Fusion is where my Winbloze future is.

24. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Attached Files: