Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
It doesn't have volume control, no longer links with Mac (as far as I can tell), and they didn't bring back the ability to brows media from within the app itself like on the ATV3... So... Meh.

New icon is cool though

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
First beta and you're commenting on it as if it's a final release. Might be a good time to do a Google search for the definition of the term 'beta' :confused:

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I don't think they are going to add many features... In fact I think it will come out way before tvOS 10. The current release of tvOS 9 actually has support for the app. Apple also said that it would be released early this year... So they are already running pretty late on it... I bet they release it in July sometime.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I don't think they are going to add many features... In fact I think it will come out way before tvOS 10. The current release of tvOS 9 actually has support for the app. Apple also said that it would be released early this year... So they are already running pretty late on it... I bet they release it in July sometime.
No, it will release alongside iOS 10.

Regarding volume, yes that would be nice, but it would (of course) have to be CEC volume control given the lack of IR on iOS devices, and how many TVs support that? Far far far less than those that support CEC power on/off. You can see why it would be excluded, at least for now. Could easily be added in the future (but does your TV even support it?).

There is a small regression away from browsing your local library content and playing it back on Apple TV, but you have to see how that experience differs from the rest of the entire AppleTV UI. Browsing local library is literally 1 App, of the countless you can have on AppleTV now. Doesn't make sense to maintain support for that.
Not to mention, that was before there were new ways of interacting with AppleTV, ie, touchpad, Siri. And yes, Siri does not yet support the local library, but eventually it may. Maybe. Its hard to say how valid that would be with the potential for questionable metadata.

I've since moved on to using Plex as its a much better AppleTV experience, and being a 3rd party app it has much greater potential for Siri support (especially since they have their own custom metadata inclusion experience which can augment what is is needed for Siri).

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I have my ATV hooked up to an AV receiver. CES powder works on both my tv and receiver. Ces Volume works on my AV receiver... And many AV Receivers do support volume.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I have my ATV hooked up to an AV receiver. CES powder works on both my tv and receiver. Ces Volume works on my AV receiver... And many AV Receivers do support volume.

Is there a way the AppleTV can sense whether or not the TV connected to it can be CEC volume controlled? If so, then the app could be written so that volume functionality appears in the app if the control is available and doesn't show if it isn't.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Anybody having trouble pairing the app with the Apple TV? tvOS is 10.0, iPhone 6S plus is iOS 10.0. On the ATV in Settings>Remotes and Devices>Remote app, it is looking for an app. Installed the app on the iPhone using Xcode 8. When I try to pair the app by entering code on ATV, both sit there and refuse to pair.
[doublepost=1466469287][/doublepost]After I force-quit the app a second time, I was able to pair them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.