The New Sony Z Laptop??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by magid, Jul 18, 2008.

1. magid macrumors 6502

magid

So what do you guys (and girls) think about the new sony z laptop? Would you choose it over and air if you in the market for a laptop that size? Would you consider selling your air for one? Lets discuss, GO!

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

My answer is "yes" to all your questions. I'm pretty close to making my order, but might wait a month or so to see if I can get a better deal. So far, I've owned a macbook, macbook air, and msi wind, but none of them were for me. The Sony Z has tremendous performance in a small package. You sure as hell don't see 4GB DDR3, 1600x900 res, 3.4lbs., and 13.1" (16:9) everyday.

3. yorkslad macrumors regular

My answer is "No". Its a gorgeous piece of kit with one fatal design flaw...it runs Windows not OSX.

If your happy with slow startup times and decreasing performance, the longer you own the Vaio then go for it.

At least with a macbook, pro or air you have a choice of running both windows and OSX with bootcamp :rolleyes:

4. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

I'm no arrogant punk, so quite strong YES!!!
    those specs fantastic, I can only dream of them on a Mac :eek::(:mad:
    and I'm not afraid of "problems" of turning it into Hackintosh ...

Yet, I don't know actually .... guess I was RDF'ed enough already by The One who've bitten a fruit, and runs it as well :D
    Being a techie all my life, I must admit, there's something more than specs only, in using actual Mac ....

Is it years of "worshiping" specs alone ?
    Or Am I brain dead zombie already ? :D:D:D

(Please, no hidden poking at Macheads, it's a real situation for me now .... I'm torn :(:(:()

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I wouldn't buy a laptop that doesn't run OS X. The advantages to superior hardware would be far outweighed by the frustrations of using windows.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I think I commented on the latest MacBook revision rumor thread that the Series is particularly impressive.

It certainly raises the bar and goes beyond the MacBook range in a number of areas. I've owned / used a lot of Sony hardware and my personal experience has been that they excel at making things that are solid and don't break.

It is not due out by August and Apple is set to do a MacBook revision around then. It will be interested to see Cupertino's response.

The VAIO is very tempting though. Very tempting.

7. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

I don't think Apple will have direct response/competitor to Z ....
    1) As Sony Z has all the power of MBP (except bit weaker graphics, but better resolution)
    2) Yet it "competes" with MBA in terms of weight & form factor - 13" (both deciding factors to get MBA above MB/MBP)

So, my only hope for happiness is 4lbs, 14" MBP with MBA'like design.
    and with DVD drive gone looking for floppy :cool::D:apple:

8. cromwell64 macrumors regular

This is tough to answer becuase I don't think I would ever buy a Macbook Air. The Sony offers quite a bit more but it doesn't run OS X. It would be a great machine though if you ditched Vista and put some flavor of Linux on it though.

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I meant more how Apple will bring the MacBook Pro and MacBook ranges in line with the VAIO. With things like SSD RAID, Higher density 16:9 screens, Hybrid Graphics, HSDPA options and Bluray.

The Sony, with it's Centrino 2 architecture at 2.53GHz and 64GB x2 SSD would arguably run faster than many of the MacBook Pro configs currently available (although that may change soon with the new Pros).