Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Just upgraded to 14.2.

while the accuracy of the new translate is quite good (compared with other offerings like ms translator), I could not figure out on what condition the translate option would be available in the Aa menu of Safari address bar.

here below a few Japanese web (just for testing, I found more Translate not available for more web sites) not working with Translate on Safari, while MS translator is available via share sheet.

any idea?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Just upgraded to 14.2.

while the accuracy of the new translate is quite good (compared with other offerings like ms translator), I could not figure out on what condition the translate option would be available in the Aa menu of Safari address bar.

here below a few Japanese web (just for testing, I found more Translate not available for more web sites) not working with Translate on Safari, while MS translator is available via share sheet.

any idea?

Available in the U.S. and Canada. Support for English, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, French, German, Russian, and Brazilian Portuguese.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Available in the U.S. and Canada. Support for English, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, French, German, Russian, and Brazilian Portuguese.

I see below in the web page you referred.

Supported languages​

Translate currently supports translation between any combination of 11 languages: English (US & UK), Spanish (Spain), Chinese (Mandarin, Simplified), Japanese, Korean, Russian, German (Germany), French (France), Italian (Italy), Portuguese (Brazil), and Arabic.

Does it mean the app supports Japanese while safari translate does not?

Why for some of the webpages, the option to translate is not available?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I see below in the web page you referred.

Supported languages​

Translate currently supports translation between any combination of 11 languages: English (US & UK), Spanish (Spain), Chinese (Mandarin, Simplified), Japanese, Korean, Russian, German (Germany), French (France), Italian (Italy), Portuguese (Brazil), and Arabic.

Does it mean the app supports Japanese while safari translate does not?

Yes exactly that.

Why for some of the webpages, the option to translate is not available?

Because there's a separate entry for that, complete with the footnote I posted above.

Screenshot 2020-11-08 at 4.25.16 pm.png

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Yes exactly that.

Because there's a separate entry for that, complete with the footnote I posted above.

View attachment 1537012

It said “Available in the U.S. and Canada.”.

whether it refers to the location of the web sites or the users?

I am outside US and Canada, but I am able to use Translate on Safari for some web sites.

or the layout of the web pages would impact the availability for the translate option?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
It said “Available in the U.S. and Canada.”.

whether it refers to the location of the web sites or the users?

I am outside US and Canada, but I am able to use Translate on Safari for some web sites.

or the layout of the web pages would impact the availability for the translate option?

Is your region erroneously set to USA?

Regardless - it's not available in Japanese per the footnote, so don't expect it to work on any of the three listed.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Is your region erroneously set to USA?

Regardless - it's not available in Japanese per the footnote, so don't expect it to work on any of the three listed.
No, region was set to outside US and Canada.

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
It's pretty funny about this feature. I have on my iPhone now, but on my iPad I just had it for a while. Both or them are in the same region and everything, but only one of them have it.

I live in Switzerland, I just arrived and I find the feature really useful to translate info on safari… I really don't know how can activate on my iPad. Any idea?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I looked for it on my Mac and iPhone. I can't find anything on iPhone on the Mac I see the "Translation" under "View", "Translate to English" is grayed out.

I'm in the USA so either it's limited release or it only works with certain websites.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
It's pretty funny about this feature. I have on my iPhone now, but on my iPad I just had it for a while. Both or them are in the same region and everything, but only one of them have it.

I live in Switzerland, I just arrived and I find the feature really useful to translate info on safari… I really don't know how can activate on my iPad. Any idea?

I had the problem where it worked on my wife's iPhone 11 but not on my iPhone 8.

The solution was to shut down my iPhone 8, wait at least 30 seconds, then restart.

Maybe that'll work on your iPad?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

I am not sure if this will help you but I noticed that the translation feature would not be available until I added more languages under Settings->General->Language & Region. Maybe this is the same case for you.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
I had the problem where it worked on my wife's iPhone 11 but not on my iPhone 8.

The solution was to shut down my iPhone 8, wait at least 30 seconds, then restart.

Maybe that'll work on your iPad?

I am with 14.2 while my wife just upgraded her ip11 to 14.3.

the translate option at addr bar never shown up for her, while for mine I got the option available for most of the cases (English to simplified Chinese) except in a few cases, for unknown reason the translate option became a button (“translate websites...” ) to prompt for selection, while some of the selections were greyed out.

anyone knows the reason why? And in which conditions the translate option would be displayed (the formal answer like compatible languages displayed)

attached the screenshot for your info.

Attachments

• 15B07F87-39E8-492E-8589-3253E755CD53.jpeg
    15B07F87-39E8-492E-8589-3253E755CD53.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 383
  • D41A4B2F-9ACC-4A0C-A8CC-40B5236C03A3.jpeg
    D41A4B2F-9ACC-4A0C-A8CC-40B5236C03A3.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: beach bum

ThatOneAss

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2020
Though the Safari translation might be good, the other translation stuff does need some work...

Attachments

• CC0AAADB-83C2-4B1D-B3CB-FBDF9AF6E292.jpeg
    CC0AAADB-83C2-4B1D-B3CB-FBDF9AF6E292.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 209

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
Though the Safari translation might be good, the other translation stuff does need some work...
Almost like any translation. Google translator it's perfect. This tools are for getting the general idea, not for really translating. Perhaps Deepl is the only really good.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
I am with 14.2 while my wife just upgraded her ip11 to 14.3.

the translate option at addr bar never shown up for her, while for mine I got the option available for most of the cases (English to simplified Chinese) except in a few cases, for unknown reason the translate option became a button (“translate websites...” ) to prompt for selection, while some of the selections were greyed out.

anyone knows the reason why? And in which conditions the translate option would be displayed (the formal answer like compatible languages displayed)

attached the screenshot for your info.

I've never seen the “translate websites...” option. I only see what you see in the screenshot.

My preferred languages are UK English and Spanish.

For whatever reason some websites aren't compatible with Safari's translator for certain languages. Perhaps I haven't come across one yet...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 19.01.52.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 19.01.52.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 382

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
I've never seen the “translate websites...” option. I only see what you see in the screenshot.

My preferred languages are UK English and Spanish.

For whatever reason some websites aren't compatible with Safari's translator for certain languages. Perhaps I haven't come across one yet...

what Lang of web were you browsing? In your screenshot, the options shown at the addr bar look like the second screenshot I posted, that was what i got after clicking “translate websites...” I had never seen the options at the addr bar.

for any websites that were not compatible with translate, kind of a web page encapsulated in another search or news webs like google, msn, etc., there was not any translate options shown at the addr .

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
what Lang of web were you browsing? In your screenshot, the options shown at the addr bar look like the second screenshot I posted, that was what i got after clicking “translate websites...” I had never seen the options at the addr bar.

If it gives the option to translate into Spanish it must have been a native English website. The screen shot was actually in Safari and Big Sur. Here's one from my iPhone 8 viewing the Spanish state TV and radio web site, RTVE.ES

IMG_0576.jpeg

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
btw, I solved a problem with the Translate.app not working by deleting the app, then re-installing it from the App Store, then shutting down the iPhone, waiting more than 30 seconds and restarting.

I don't know if Translate.app influences translations in Safari.

Does Translate.app work OK on your and your wife's iPhones?

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
btw, I solved a problem with the Translate.app not working by deleting the app, then re-installing it from the App Store, then shutting down the iPhone, waiting more than 30 seconds and restarting.

should the safari translate capability relate to apple server availability?

nearly a month of use after upgrade to 14.2, surprisingly i just reckoned the translate option was disappeared from safari addr bar (screenshot attached). It used to be there.

same Lang settings, same websites that the option was used to be available.

tried to disable adv blocker but still did not work.

Strange!

anyone experienced the same?

Attachments

• B9E3326B-0126-4B3D-A700-A98054B1BEAF.jpeg
    B9E3326B-0126-4B3D-A700-A98054B1BEAF.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 156

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020

Duplicate

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
By the way I just noticed that if I use the in-app Safari on other apps, like Twitter or Telegram, the translation works. So it's there but it's not available form the regular safari because some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.