United States
Which version of the new Xbox 360 should I get with Kinect:

The glossy 250GB for $299 and the Kinect for $149

Total: About $450

or

The matte 4GB for $299 that is bundled with Kinect

Total: About $299

--

The 4GB is obviously a better deal, but I am not sure that it's enough space. Is there a way I can get more space on it? Is it removable storage (I don't think so, just asking, though)? Is the 250GB worth it and doe sit do more?
Is the glossy version better than matte?

Please help me decide :confused:

SOT DOC

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
Maine
I would get the 250gb. It is worth the extra $150. The hard drive space goes fast, especially if you download map packs or the games. You would be adding a hard drive to the other system almost immediately and it will cost more than the price difference.

BackcountryLife

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Iowa
your definitely gonna need more than 4 gigs of space. Especially if you want to install a game to the harddrive to avoid the noise of the disk drive, I guess thats supposed to be better with the new console. Unfortunately u cant upgrade it yourself so you'd be buying a hard drive later anyway.

amnost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
United States
Get the 250 gb xbox and avoid the Kinect. It looks like it will fail like the Kin.
I definitely want Kinect. It's one of the main reasons I'm getting the 360, since I have a PS3 already (that I ordered PS Move for).

I have the storage situation figured out. I won't need any more advice on that. Anything else have anything to say that doesn't have to do with storage?

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Another vote for the 250GB version. 4GB is fine for game saves but if you want extras like maps and downloadable content it will quickly fill. Plus game demos, videos and installing a game to the hard drive will eat that 4GB away in no time.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I still have the old 20gb drive, never used more than a few gb myself (just for saves and some Rockband songs). But between the 2 I'd go for the 250gb just so I could then install my most played games and cut down on load times.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Waiting for the Halo: Reach limited edition 360 - added bonus of NOT HAVING A BLOODY GLOSS FINISH which means countless hours saved from having to constantly polish the damn thing free of fingerprints.

Microsoft should give a shammy away with the new Elite...

Tazernator

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
The 360 is now compatible with removable storage devices up to 16GB, meaning you could add 32GB of storage in the two USB slots. I still prefer having the games on my elite stored on the HDD as it performs much better and much more quietly so I would recommend maxing out the storage on you 360.

amnost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
United States
Waiting for the Halo: Reach limited edition 360 - added bonus of NOT HAVING A BLOODY GLOSS FINISH which means countless hours saved from having to constantly polish the damn thing free of fingerprints.

Microsoft should give a shammy away with the new Elite...
Yeah, but it is a console system. I'm not going to be picking it my hands to play it :D

I shouldn't have to touch it too much, especially in any way that would be noticeable :p

amnost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
United States
I'm getting it mainly for Kinect, since I already have a PS3. I also planning on switching to playing all my games on Xbox 360, and only Blu_ray movies and exclusive titles (and Playstation Move) on the PS3, because I have come to the conclusion that the 360 is much better for gaming.

Is everyone pretty sure that Kinect is going to do well? I tried it a few weeks ago, it's pretty cool. I can tell that it will appeal well to consumers, and I'm quite positive it will be successful.

As I said before, I've got the storage situation figured out.
Does anyone have any reasons based on something other than storage?

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Yeah, but it is a console system. I'm not going to be picking it my hands to play it :D

I shouldn't have to touch it too much, especially in any way that would be noticeable :p
A Gloss finish on tech attracts fingerprints from people who aren't even in the same room as it.

;)