Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apps with sign-in functionality, including The New York Times, IFTTT, Medium, and more, have continued to adopt Apple's secure Sign in with Apple feature ahead of a deadline of June 30. The deadline for these apps to support the feature was recently extended from April 30.

SigninwithApple.png

Sign in with Apple, first introduced in iOS 13, allows users to create accounts for apps and websites using an Apple ID. It also lets users to select specific data he or she would like to share with an app and even allows users to mask their email addresses.

The feature has been largely welcomed as a more secure alternative to similar sign-in services since it authenticates the user with Face ID or Touch ID and doesn't send personal information to app and website developers.

MacRumors forum member Pedro Marques has compiled a list of other apps currently supporting Sign in with Apple. Be sure to check out our Sign in with Apple guide to learn more about the feature and how it works.

Article Link: The New York Times, IFTTT, Medium, and Other Apps Adopt Sign in With Apple Ahead of June 30 Deadline

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Apps with sign-in functionality, including The New York Times, IFTTT, Medium, and more, have continued to adopt Apple's secure Sign in with Apple feature ahead of a deadline of June 30. The deadline for these apps to support the feature was recently extended from April 30.

SigninwithApple.png

Sign in with Apple, first introduced in iOS 13, allows users to create accounts for apps and websites using an Apple ID. It also lets users to select specific data he or she would like to share with an app and even allows users to mask their email addresses.

The feature has been largely welcomed as a more secure alternative to similar sign-in services since it authenticates the user with Face ID or Touch ID and doesn't send personal information to app and website developers.

MacRumors forum member Pedro Marques has compiled a list of other apps currently supporting Sign in with Apple. Be sure to check out our Sign in with Apple guide to learn more about the feature and how it works.

Article Link: The New York Times, IFTTT, Medium, and Other Apps Adopt Sign in With Apple Ahead of June 30 Deadline

GOOD! Because every time I see "Sign Up With Google" (or Facebook) on any new website account.... I cringe.

Google and FB are some of the worst data privacy offenders. Why on earth would I want them to be the steward and gatekeeper of my various website/internet accounts?

tibor96

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2019

SigninwithApple.png

Nice, there are many missing, not sure if uber and similar apps now offer sign in with apple...?

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
GOOD! Because every time I see "Sign Up With Google" (or Facebook) on any new website account.... I cringe.

Google and FB are some of the worst data privacy offenders. Why on earth would I want them to be the steward and gatekeeper of my various website/internet accounts?
That and since physical security is part of 2FA, and Apple makes my devices, it makes sense for them to be my vault.
Using randomly generated passwords stored in Keychain is already basically equivalent on the security side, though.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
Nice, there are many missing, not sure if uber and similar apps now offer sign in with apple...?
The deadline is still almost two months away... and even beyond that it's not going to shut your app down, it just means the next update you push to the store will have to include the feature.

And they'll probably allow exemptions as long as the developer can convince the App Review team that work is being done to add the feature.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
NY Times caused a big problem for me. I used the feature during the subscription process and it created an account under the random string Apple passes to them rather than my own email address.

NY Times support is completely incompetent. They have no idea why the accounts aren't being established or linked properly.

Reactions: NervousFish2

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Note that it's sign up with Apple. I bet you can't convert.
[automerge]1586144759[/automerge]
NY Times caused a big problem for me. I used the feature during the subscription process and it created an account under the random string Apple passes to them rather than my own email address.

NY Times support is completely incompetent. They have no idea why the accounts aren't being established or linked properly.

I thinkthats working exactly as designed...the whole point is to prevent the site from getting your info, isn't it?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi! Can anyone tell me if any sites I am already signed in with FB or Google can be switched to Apple? Or once you are registered it’s over and must stick to one method ?

great question!

try logging into both services, FB main page and Google, go into settings for your account and it just may, at the very least list the devices or browsers you’re signed into.

other than that you’ll have totrack down ALL the web services you use and find out if their linked. Check your password keeper for a main list you can begin with. Good luck.

Reactions: Bert22

wouwout

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Sydney
It's not working properly though. Accounts are setup with the random email generated by Apple, which is supposed to be a placeholder for my regular email. Love the idea of Apple login, but experiencing the usual slighly messy implementation of Apple services - never seem as smooth as Google's services (which I don't want to use for other obvious reasons, but they seem to work all the time)

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It's not working properly though. Accounts are setup with the random email generated by Apple, which is supposed to be a placeholder for my regular email.

That’s how it’s supposed to work. The whole point is to not give third parties your real email. If your real email is reflected in the app, then they have your real email.

When you Sign In with Apple, your email and other user names and passwords are irrelevant. It’s a one button operation. Hit Sign In with Apple, it authenticates you via Face or Touch ID and you’re in. The email they have for you is irrelevant. What matters is that if they want to contact you, they’ll email that relay email and you’ll receive it at your real email.

If you want them to stop bothering you, just turn off emails in the Apple ID settings. If you want to delete your account entirely, you don’t have to jump through hoops on their app. Just delete the app from your Signed in with Apple apps and your account is cleared along with their ability to contact you.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This feature works great!

I’ve been a NYTimes subscriber for years - I’ll have to set this up next time I log in
I don't think you can migrate existing account to Apple ID. One of the goals of "Sign with Apple" is to increase privacy and migration is counter to that goal. Having said that, I like the convenience of "Sign with Apple", and I would compromise a bit of privacy for it.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012

I’d trust Google and FB (and Amazon and Apple) to authenticate logins for me 100x more than I’d trust any business outside of the tech industry To protect my login details against hacks.

It’s in Google and FB’s best interest to keep your account secure. To prevent unauthorized access to your data.

There are legitimate reasons to hate on them, but both companies have an absolutely proven track record of being serious about security. We have to give credit where credit is due.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
I don't think you can migrate existing account to Apple ID. One of the goals of "Sign with Apple" is to increase privacy and migration is counter to that goal. Having said that, I like the convenience of "Sign with Apple", and I would compromise a bit of privacy for it.
You can. If the app developer bothers to make it a feature.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I’d trust Google and FB (and Amazon and Apple) to authenticate logins for me 100x more than I’d trust any business outside of the tech industry To protect my login details against hacks.

It’s in Google and FB’s best interest to keep your account secure. To prevent unauthorized access to your data.

There are legitimate reasons to hate on them, but both companies have an absolutely proven track record of being serious about security. We have to give credit where credit is due.

All have had numerous breaches, Facebook especially has a truly awful track record. I'm sick of the "well spend hours to give me extensive proof or else your wrong" culture so I'm not going to go through the effort, but if you do some research its been pretty bad. If you're gonna sell your digital soul to one go Apple-Google-Amazon just please, please, don't believe Facebook of all companies has your digital security as the first priority.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Hi! Can anyone tell me if any sites I am already signed in with FB or Google can be switched to Apple? Or once you are registered it’s over and must stick to one method ?

I’ve been replacing my Facebook logins for months as apps added Sign In With Apple and managed to complete my list with the latest wave of additions. I have nothing logged in via Facebook and it feels good.

Here’s a good place to start:

This will show you every app and site you’re logged into via Facebook. Go into each app, log out and if there’s a Sign In With Apple button, you can typically replace the Facebook login if your Apple ID is the same email as your Facebook account. You’ll just have to forgo the hidden email feature.

Once you’ve logged in via Apple, you can delete the Facebook link in that same app list on Facebook.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

LOL. FB ... by their very creation/inception, along with months of congress appearances and interviews (notice Zuck and his right hand woman kept pushing the brand lol) is to circumvent security to continue to grow. They survive with user data, ALL of it. They make money primarily off that, secondarily by pushing you ads (for a profit) based on your user data. They keep that too 'safe' they cannot sell it nor cater to you. It's against their business model. FB Messenger going/is encrypted ONLY to save Zucks behind due to congress hearings last year. Should Zuck continue to delete stuff off his official page (and we know it's not him feeding all the data therein), that should give you a big hint.

coolthings

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
I had high hopes for this but the implementation sucks. Just tried with Spotify.

To log-in through Web Browser, I thought it would be this way:
1- enter your email address on the website,
2-FaceID verification prompts on the phone.
3-Log in goes through on the web. Done.
(with Microsoft its pretty much that way with their Authenticator #zeropasswordneeded)

But no, it is currently this way:
1-enter your Apple ID main email address on the website, (doesn't work with alias email, even if picked during the setup).
2- remember and type your whole Apple ID password (and put it at risk on that very browser including leaving the door wide open for phishing tactics).
3-Approve sign in prompt appears on phone,
4 press approve.
5-code appears on phone.
6-type this code on web browser
7- and only then you're in.
They pretty much just applied the old 2FA rather than using the FaceID tech. I'm like WTF.

Really Apple?

Last edited:

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
But no, it is currently this way:
1-enter your Apple ID main email address on the website, (doesn't work with alias email, even if picked during the setup).
2- remember and type your whole Apple ID password (and put it at risk on that very browser including leaving the door wide open for phishing tactics).
3-Approve sign in prompt appears on phone,
4 press approve.
5-code appears on phone.
6-type this code on web browser
7- and only then you're in.
They pretty much just applied the old 2FA rather than using the FaceID tech. I'm like WTF.

Really Apple?

Not my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.