The newest Mac that will run Mac OS 9?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by usuario, Aug 6, 2010.

1. usuario macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I ordered a PowerBook G3 of the "Bronze Keyboard" generation with OS 9 preinstalled and it was awfully slow, so I decided it would be a bad idea to put OS X on it too. I'm a fan of old software, and I want to run Mac OS 9. What is the fastest and newest computer that will run it? Is it possible to dual-boot OS 9 and Leopard on the same computer?

Thanks,
    Vince

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The PowerMac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) model Powermac3,6 is the newest desktop that can run Mac OS 9 without drastic modification to the computer. Yes, you can dual boot Leopard and Mac OS 9, you just can't run Mac OS 9 within Leopard, as Leopard does not have a Classic mode.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The last Mac OS 9 bootable computer was the Powermac G4 MDD 2003. Not to be confused with the FW800 MDD which came at speeds up to 1.42GHz. Basically what you're looking for is a Mirror Drive Doors Powermac G4 that does NOT have a Firewire 800 port on the back. The fastest these came was dual 1.25GHz. And yes, you can dual boot Leopard and Mac OS 9. You just can't run the Classic environment anymore.

4. drewdle macrumors regular

This. Or if you wanted Classic mode, you could dual boot Tiger and Leopard on separate partitions and install OS9 onto the Tiger partition, thus giving you the more modern,fully supported OS and the ability to run Classic mode without giving up OS X.