The newly updated Magsafe power adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splashnader, Apr 22, 2010.

1. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

The new connector design features an aluminum tip instead of the plastic one. I know there were a few reports on the Internet about the Magsafe power adapters catching fire. Does anyone know if this is a response to those older Magsafe's and the problems that were reported. I haven't heard much from Apple in regards to the new Magsafe Power Adapters.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, this is how the MB Air's adapters are designed. And we don't need yet another thread on this.

3. katy macrumors member

1. from an aesthetics point of view, the new magsafe matches the aluminium pros.
    2. the connector is angled so I guess lesss likely to tear, less strain I guess.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The magsafe has a stiffer cables, they feel cheaper to be honest.

5. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Yes, Steve Jobs emailed the New York Times and explained that they were updating the Magsafe connector due to problems that were reported with the older Magsafe connector. Apple has already launched an upgrade program so that owners of older Magsafe connectors can upgrade to the new and better design:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC556LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=MTc0NzA0MjY

:rolleyes:

Mark

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Where is this? I couldn't find anything about an upgrade program.

EDIT: Did you just mean the store page? Am I misunderstanding?

7. eccentricglow macrumors member

eccentricglow

Adapter Reliability

These adapters are still not much improved.

These things are magnets for cats because one of them just chewed through my first one and I've only had it a week - I suspect because of thin cabling without a lot of protection. I can tell the thin cables will fray also in the next few months - they feel rubbery and cheap really.

Have any of you came up with solutions to cover your adapters so they have more protection from breaking?

Not to mention the white color is just a magnet for dirt anyway.

I would expect more from Apple than this.

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Just let it self-correct.

[​IMG]

But then again, you may just need to buy 8 more adapters and let nature take its course:

[​IMG]

9. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Bad kitty no cheezburger.

In all seriousness though, I've never had any issues with Apple power adapter cables in my experience. Even with the *really* thin cable on the power adapter that came with my Powerbook G4 which I coiled/uncoiled daily for 4 years. Likewise with my "old" design MagSafe.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

wont applecare replace the magsafe if it breaks?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looks like I need to pick up some old stock of the older adapters in case mine dies.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The design is new to MBP owners. Why are you already worrying about what may or may not be a problem in the future? :confused:

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I was wondering about that. Will old adapters work on the 2010 MBPs, or will it cause problems? My first instinct says no and it should work fine, but knowing Apple and their penchant for redesign, the last thing I want is to plug an old magsafe on my new macbook pro and end up turning it into nothing more than a very elegantly designed portable hotplate.

I have a spare older magsafe adapter that I bought for my previous MBP, so I could quickly plug it in while I was at work in my office without having to pull out the one in my bag.

Not to mention, I don't really like the new cables on the new magsafe either. They have this weird, stiff springiness to them.

14. DoorMouse macrumors member

I'm fairly sure the new charges can be used with the older macbook pros (and won't hurt them).

In any case, I can still go into an apple store and pick up a new charger for my old powerbook (the charger died the other day), so I don't think you have to worry about the mbp chargers becoming hard to find (if you couldn't use the new ones).

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The new L-shaped adapters work just fine with any device that has a Magsafe port. In addition, old Magsafe devices are backwards compatible with any of the newer machines that have a Magsafe port.

This is not taking into account the various power ratings of the machines, but the plugs themselves are no different. Even the T-shaped Magsafes work with the MBA, provided you hang the edge of the MBA over the edge of a desk or something.

16. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Oh I respectfully disagree. Disagree with a capital D, they don't "feel cheap" or anything even near to it ! The cable is stiffer means its more durable. It should be more resistant to wear when one wraps it around the adapter while traveling. The aluminum connector and bright single LED light is just pure love.

17. eccentricglow macrumors member

eccentricglow

I'm thinking about getting something called a critter cord to cover it - but I heard it has a nasty citrus smell that even scares away humans (reviews on Amazon).

http://www.crittercord.com/critter_cord.html

Or, maybe I'll just find a cord cover from Home Depot.

There's no way Apple would take it back on warranty and replace it will they? I wonder if it shocked my cat since chewing on it.