The Newton Virus - One time hitter!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fatum, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Fatum macrumors member

Fatum

Well,

I know it is 1st of April, never the less, check this out. It is for real.

The Newton Virus by Troika

and for everyone that was was a fool today, don't worry, just click here and feel better.

Regards
    Fatum

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Ah yes, i've seen that before. Also go onto youtube and look for liquid mac or macquarium if you hav'nt already.

I was expecting to be rick-rolled :rolleyes:.

3. Fatum thread starter macrumors member

Fatum

Yeah, I know them both, the thing with Newton is that is "virus like". It will trigger a single time but there is no way to tell when. But even this single time could be disastrous. Good it is not contagious.

He? What? Where? I would never do this! I swear! ;)

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

How is it virus like if it does not self replicate and is not contagious? Computer viruses are named after real biological viruses because those are some of the symptoms which define a virus.

5. Fatum thread starter macrumors member

Fatum

1) The latin word virus means toxin or poison. - Fits to the essential attribute of the Newton.

2) A virus as a sub-microscopic infectious agent, is unable to reproduce or grow outside it's host cell. - In this meaning the USB carrier.

3) Not all viruses are contagious and not all do replicate. One of such is the Bluetongue Virus. Transfered by insect bite and never topping its original virulent count in the host body, just as an example.

4) It was "virus like" not virus like, there is a difference. No, I will not explain you which one.

5) Why do I actually answer your question, it is an art project for hell sake.

Regards
    Fatum

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

We are not talking about a form of life here, we are talking about computer code. the Newton Virus is not a virus. It does not really qualify as malware. Bringing in a whole bunch of irrelevances about things that are viruses and virus-like sheds no light to the subject.

7. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I'd be mad as a hornet if someone did that to me, but I've got to say that is a pretty cool gag.

8. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

well if it is not a virus as it doesn't replicate, it is still the end of a good day and the beginning of a bad one. so, you just plug it in an suddenly the gravity takes over and you can no longer use your desktop normally?

if it ain't a joke, apple had better fix this bug in the computer whereby just plugging in a usb drive, you can get hacked by a friend - poor form.

9. Nuks macrumors 6502a

It's pretty cool isn't it? Here's another thread about it .

You should also check out some or Troika's other stuff. Their "cloud" sculpture for Heathrow Airport is wonderful as well.

10. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

*sigh*
    I was rick-rolled so many times on april fools day!

11. Fatum thread starter macrumors member

Fatum

Hey man, when I searched the forum to see if it was posted before, your post didn't show. No stealing intended. Fun to see that you also had some "It is no virus" cry-babies.

Troika is an amazing studio, very much at the beat of time. Some crazy stuff that came from these guys. The cloud is a sweet piece of art. See it in action here.

Regards
    Fatum

12. Nuks macrumors 6502a

No worries! Just spreading the Troika love. Check your PM's!