Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
I have both the iPad mini retina and the iPad air and holding them side by side it seems like a ton of space is wasted on the bigger screen. I think iOS works the best when icons are about the size of the mini. Apple can easily increase the resolution of the larger iPad to further set it apart. You can fit more on the home screens, view more content, etc. I think rumors were this is the direction apple is headed in. Kind of double minded about keeping the air now. Only thing I'm gaining with the air is just larger items (which is useful, don't get me wrong).

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
It bothers me that iOS 7 on the iPad is the same as iOS 7 on the iPhone, but blown up. I can't stand the huge translucent dock. It's ridiculously ugly.

What's really sad is that just one year ago, Apple execs spent like 10 minutes of the original iPad mini unveiling bashing Android tablets for being just large Android phones. It's hard to believe Apple has so totally lost its way in so little time.

Comment

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
It bothers me that iOS 7 on the iPad is the same as iOS 7 on the iPhone, but blown up. I can't stand the huge translucent dock. It's ridiculously ugly.

I think it's ok on the mini but I agree they can make the larger one a bit nicer. I love the air hardware just wish the experience was more than just everything bigger. I wish it was more content when browsing, more icons on the home screens,etc

Comment

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
that or they need to use the screen real estate more efficiently, fit more content in there.

Can they do that for content or is that resolution dependent? I agree they can do more for the home screen.

Comment

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
The translucent dock is not doing it for me. It's just a parking spot , I know but it could be better thought out. Beside that I do not see what the problem is with homepage real estate. A swipe right is not hard to do.
Most icons seem as 3 rd grade students drew them up. Need a smarter ,cooler look. More technical or futuristic. I know, it's just an on ramp to an app. Try telling Steve Jobs something like that...lol. ( rip SJ ) miss ya.

Comment

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
This is a funny thread. While we are at it, I say, let's do without a screen. Let's have spatial recognition with a holographic display. The iOS devices are bult with readability in mind. By trying to fit more content, via pixel cramming, you're defeating the purpose of readability on Retina screens. The design of iOS is simple but I'm getting lost icons all of the time. There must be a better way of showing possible applications to run without icons floating all over.

Comment

Selmir

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
I have both the iPad mini retina and the iPad air and holding them side by side it seems like a ton of space is wasted on the bigger screen. I think iOS works the best when icons are about the size of the mini. Apple can easily increase the resolution of the larger iPad to further set it apart. You can fit more on the home screens, view more content, etc. I think rumors were this is the direction apple is headed in. Kind of double minded about keeping the air now. Only thing I'm gaining with the air is just larger items (which is useful, don't get me wrong).

Mini got its ass whooped by Kindle and that new Nexus-tablet in Cnet's review today when it came to the screen. :p

Despite that, I myself would though never buy a Amdriod-tablet or - god forbid - a Kindle! o_O

Comment

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I think it's already good too, but I wouldn't mind seeing 2560 X 1600 like the Nexus 10. As much as I love the Air, increased resolution wouldn't be a bad feature.

Comment

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
This is a funny thread. While we are at it, I say, let's do without a screen. Let's have spatial recognition with a holographic display. The iOS devices are bult with readability in mind. By trying to fit more content, via pixel cramming, you're defeating the purpose of readability on Retina screens. The design of iOS is simple but I'm getting lost icons all of the time. There must be a better way of showing possible applications to run without icons floating all over.

If you can't handle 4 icons in a row, I don't know what to say. :eek:

Comment

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
that or they need to use the screen real estate more efficiently, fit more content in there.
I agree. One of my gripes with iOS 7 is too much empty space when viewing folders/groups requiring a lot of scrolling through pages of apps.

Comment

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You mean higher resolution, ram, and weight like the HDX 8.9 that costs less? Just sayin.

Comment

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
What's really sad is that just one year ago, Apple execs spent like 10 minutes of the original iPad mini unveiling bashing Android tablets for being just large Android phones. It's hard to believe Apple has so totally lost its way in so little time.

Weren't previous iPad versions of iOS pretty much just blown up versions of iOS on the iPhone? How is iOS 7 really that much different? I think Apple was saying Android tablets are like large phones because of the phone apps not because of the OS.

Comment

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
I think it's already good too, but I wouldn't mind seeing 2560 X 1600 like the Nexus 10. As much as I love the Air, increased resolution wouldn't be a bad feature.

2560x1600 is 16:10, while the iPad Air is 4:3 (2048x1536) (which is much better to me and majority of other people).

Comment

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
The resolution of the iPad is fine. It's the way the user interface is designed on the iPad that's the problem.

Apple oversimplified iOS 7 and a lot of things don't make good use of the larger iPad screen. For example, folders have a lot of wasted space, and the iOS 5-6 Music app was a lot better. In album view, iOS 6 showed 24 album covers. iOS 7 shows 6 album covers (in landscape).

Comment

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
The translucent dock is not doing it for me. It's just a parking spot , I know but it could be better thought out. Beside that I do not see what the problem is with homepage real estate. A swipe right is not hard to do.
Most icons seem as 3 rd grade students drew them up. Need a smarter ,cooler look. More technical or futuristic. I know, it's just an on ramp to an app. Try telling Steve Jobs something like that...lol. ( rip SJ ) miss ya.

I don't think the majority wants their computer to look technical or futuristic. If you want it however you can jailbreak it.

Comment

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
you can jailbreak it.
I wouldn't count on that any more.

In the past, you could buy a device and think "there'll definitely be a jailbreak out in a few weeks". Not any more: that changed with the Apple TV 3. It's been out for over almost 2 years and still hasn't been jailbroken.

Apple have really been tightening up iOS devices and iOS itself recently. We still don't have an iOS 6.1.3 jailbreak, and an iOS 7 jailbreak is a long way off.

Comment

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Weren't previous iPad versions of iOS pretty much just blown up versions of iOS on the iPhone? How is iOS 7 really that much different? I think Apple was saying Android tablets are like large phones because of the phone apps not because of the OS.

One major difference, pre-iOS 7, was that iPad app folders could hold more apps than folders on the iPhone. iPhone folders held 12 apps, I believe iPad folders held 16. The iPad Dock still holds up to 6 apps, as opposed to the iPhone Dock which only holds 4.

But to me, the disappointing part of iOS 7 for iPad is that many of the stock apps have turned into blown up iPhone apps. And other Apple apps, such as Find My Friends, also got worse UI on the iPad when they were updated to iOS 7 style. It's like nobody's thinking through how to take advantage of the bigger screen space on the iPad. The single exception is the newly released Apple Store app for the iPad, but that one is a separate iPad app.

Comment

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I agree with the concept of using the real estate more efficiently. I hate the small app folders now. A small folder showing only 9 apps at a time? Having to scroll pages to see more while 3/4 of the screen is just sitting there displaying the wallpaper! That's a significant step backwards.

I was hoping (and still am) that Apple concentrated on the phone version of the OS to meet their timelines for the new phone and that the next iteration would give us a UI designed for a tablet. Alas it has not happened yet. But they did it with iOS 6 so I'm still hoping Apple will smarten up and do it with iOS 7.

So as the saying goes, Hope Springs Eternal! And if not for Apple to come through then for a jailbreak with the option.

Comment

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
One major difference, pre-iOS 7, was that iPad app folders could hold more apps than folders on the iPhone. iPhone folders held 12 apps, I believe iPad folders held 16. The iPad Dock still holds up to 6 apps, as opposed to the iPhone Dock which only holds 4.

But to me, the disappointing part of iOS 7 for iPad is that many of the stock apps have turned into blown up iPhone apps. And other Apple apps, such as Find My Friends, also got worse UI on the iPad when they were updated to iOS 7 style. It's like nobody's thinking through how to take advantage of the bigger screen space on the iPad. The single exception is the newly released Apple Store app for the iPad, but that one is a separate iPad app.

I think the reason for this would be that they concentrated on iOS 7 for the iPhone. It is the flagship after all (and this is quite apparent with how iOS 7 is not very optimised for iPads). I would think that with iOS 8 they'll try to differentiate it, if they don't do it within a couple versions of iOS 7.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.