The Next Apple Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gonzo7773, Aug 5, 2009.

1. gonzo7773 macrumors newbie

Ok enough about the bloody tablet already. I am calling all sources for rumors on a new display line!

- Matte screens?
    - Display ports? (kind of a given)
    - Sizes?
    - OLED?

Come on people lets hear it. The got a glossy 24" and a dated 30". Where's the new ones!

Wouldn't us Pros like a nice 30" matte LED display to hook our MBP's display port to?

Lets hear what we know so far.

2. ashok77 macrumors member

for what it's worth, i read in another thread and saw it for myself that the refurbs have had another 100 bucks knocked off of them...clear out what they've got to make room for new ones? it's the refurbs so maybe not.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So... this is for the displays four years from now?

I see OLED, 24" and 30", three USB 3, Mini DisplayPort out.

4. gonzo7773 thread starter macrumors newbie

Keep the speculation coming!

Nice guys. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on a release of new hardware this fall?

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Awesome... another couple hundred bucks off and I might look to replace my 22" :)

As far as the ACD, I think we won't see OLED for a while. At monitor sizes, OLED is still pretty expensive. I'm thinking that we will see the same specs in a 20". For the 30" it would be cool to see it be the same + 2 FW800 ports.

USB 3.0 will be a while.

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

I just posted in another thread the refurb price on the 24" ACD has dropped from $699 to $599. This could mean they are selling slowly, or it could mean they are clearing inventory for a refresh / new introduction...or both...or neither.

I think that covers all the bases.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

No, it depends on Steve Job's mood. :D

I really hope Apple releases a 20in or 22in LED Cinema Display.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just trying to move some units.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think apple is very slow in updating their displays and to that end, I'll not hold my breath on when we'll see an update and to be honest what it will be.

10. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

How about mini-DP and DVI? I've already given up hope though, as I don't think Apple will ever release a 24" monitor that'll work with my laptop.

As a result, I'm looking at getting the soon-to-be-released U2410 from Dell. Apple could have had my $799 a year ago, but whatever.

11. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

EVGA 285 GTX/Mini display-port/released date of 30 inch LED

I've been waiting for a new LED 30 inch ever sense they release the 24 inch LED I was wondering if Apple will do the same-thing as they did with the 17 inch MacBook Pro give users a choice if you want matt screen you will have the current design but LED and for users want the glossy they will have the current 24 inch design, what else will be great even more if Apple or 3rd party will developed a DVI-D Dual Link to Mini Displayport adapter so that users that want to use EVGA's 285 GTX with mini display-port LED display can that's what I would like to see

12. akm3 macrumors 68020

You might be right but it is probably wishful thinking.

That said, the outcry about Matte was obviously greater than they expected, since they did relent and add the option to the 17" Macbook Pro, perhaps they held back releasing a 30" or whatever to design a matte model. I doubt it, though.

13. ebalassanian macrumors newbie

30" cinema display MUST be refreshed...

why? because I just bought one and then in a spasm of anxiety I returned it convinced that Apple would announce a refresh only days after my return period expired. so i've returned it now and am waiting patiently to have succesfully outsmarted fate!

14. deliriousfenk macrumors newbie

Agreed. All I want is matte...

15. Konrad macrumors 6502

Liver and cheap apple wine

Steve is beginning to irk me. The display situation is absurd. After the fifth replacement of one of my two 30 inch CD with refurbished units, Ireland finally decided to provide a new one and I decided to part with it. I suppose they finally grasped the extend of FedEx/DHL shipping cost across EU to realise that what I gave them two years earlier at some store, they just gave away to someone else. Steve likes to be stubborn and NEVER admit to any faults. Hi Steve!

Now, when calling Apple (USA) it takes the morons about 30 minutes to inform you that there is no such thing as female DVI-to-male mini DVI adapter/converter.

Some parties will argue that one of the reasons is the faster refresh rate, etc, however the truth is that Steve wants you to buy yet another Power Book.

it used to be really about a family of compatible products, but as you will also notice, your 1 year old Mac Pro will not copulate with the new 24 display very well.

What they should really have done is to incorporate a round crap hole like magnetic plug in the (new and old generations) display butt to accommodate different cable assemblies. Then you get one free cable of your choice and be happy.

...but Steve is unhappy and he wants you to feel some of his pain as well.

Liver dinner in Croatia: about 12 euros + wine

16. Transporteur macrumors 68030

... are hopefully bigger than the current ones!

Not to say that 30 inch is small, I love mine, but my purse is open to buy a bigger display for years now!

3200x1920 would be a very nice resolution for a 32", maybe 34" Cinema Display (matte of course!).

17. ray648 macrumors regular

Isn't the current 30 inch already at the maximum resolution for mini displayport?

18. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I have never understood why everyone here likes Matte? :confused:

I personally LOVE my Glossy 15in Uni-MBP.

I'd like to see touch screens introduced into Apple line of Computers/Monitors. :)

edit-

Not a tablet, more along the lines of "touch to launch" or whatever.

Meh..

Wireless would be nice, Like a Bluetooth connection to the computer so you have less wires. *shrugs*

19. Transporteur macrumors 68030

For DisplayPort 1.0, that's right.

I'm not really familiar with DP but if we take a look at this graph , future stages of DisplayPort might be able to run much higher resolutions than 2560x1600.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

o_O

That's virtually the same resolution as two 24" screens next to one another. It would have to be a 10:4 aspect ratio... meaning HUGELY wide. I really don't see that, especially since no panels are made like that.

21. Transporteur macrumors 68030

10:4?
    You're calculating with Vista, don't you?

Back in 2004 no one made panels with 2560 until Apple released them.

The resolution was just a number. Everything above 3000 pixels in with would be nice. But it should stick to the 16:10 ratio.

22. Transporteur macrumors 68030

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Crap, what is it? There's this great photography website where you can simply put in height and width in pixels and it will give you the megapixelage and aspect ratio... but I couldn't find it, so I virtually guessed. :p

Mmm... I'll say not, since Apple wasn't the one to make those panels.

Ah. There's the rub; no one sells those anymore save for Apple. :(

SCREW 16:9! :mad: Now I have to buy 16:10 monitors whenever I see them because I never know if I'll see another.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any 5760x1200 wallpapers? :p

24. akm3 macrumors 68020

The 'widening' of monitors without adding vertical resolution is really sad, I agree.

We went to 1920x1200 for non-insane monitors and are now moving backwards as we go wider.