Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
EA might be on a turning point, even though it's hard to believe. Like the rest of the PC gaming industry, EA is trying alternative business models to publish and release their games.
The latest trend from Korea, is free games that are driven by advertisment.

Thus the new Battlefield has been born. A Free to play, free to download light version of Battlefield 2, for the PC and Mac, Battlefield: Heroes as it is called, is a more simple and arcadey version of BF2, boosting lower system requirements and cartoon graphics, similiar to the incredible popular and loved Team Fortress 2.

General Information:
2 Armies: National Army vs. Royal Army, All stereotypes used for comic look
At release, 2-3 maps with more rolled out in updates
Pick one character and you level him up through the game.
Maps do not have insertion points, and the game chooses where to put you on the battlefield, although maps are a lot smaller than regular Battlefield maps.
Known Weapons: Sticky Bombs, Rocket Launcher
Taunts and death-freeze-cam included
3rd person rather than 1st person. Update: 1st person as well according to this. French gaming site, No Frag is reporting that Battlefield Heroes will not only be 3rd person, but 1st person as well depending on the "phase".
Vehicles in the game unlike Team Fortress 2
Historical war setting
Much simpler than Team Fortress 2

Modified Conquest Mode:
At the start of each round each team has 2 flags and 100 tickets
Killing enemies reduce tickets, but if you hold more flags then your enemy you receive a multiplier giving you more tickets.
You can win even by killing less enemies and owning more flags
Killing enemies is less important than capturing and holding flags

Vehicles:
Observed vehicles: Spitfire, M4 Sherman, PzKfzIV
The character size relative to the vehicle differs quite a bit. Comparable to "an adult on a bobby car".
Planes have no bombs, used mainly for dogfights

Abilities:
"I Eat Grenades" Ability - Throw back 7 grenades at once
Life-Points Boost
Inflammable Ammo
New abilities at level up
Each solider class has this
Sort of like spells (not like fireballs)

Achievement System:
Mission system - choose a badge you want to get and go out on a mission to get that badge
You can get new weapons
As you play the game you get experience points
As your level increases you get access to better clothing items etc

Advertising:
Advertising on the website, press button on website to play, website has stats
In-game menus have advertising
They expect 95% of people never to buy items
Selling convenience items
Example of an item being sold: item ups the multiplayer on your score for increased experience points

Match Making:
Play with level equal players, but not 1:1 Ex: Level 2s could play on a level 1 server. Rule seems to be "level X ±"
New players separated from hardcore players
Levels as high as 40 or 50

2ngx93m.jpg

13zpkiw.jpg

2ryhs82.jpg

5oayau.jpg

6ga3qw.jpg

295yde8.jpg

2dln5u1.jpg

5sln9.jpg
wa6mpd.jpg

This is not the first time we have seen a free online action game, but this is very good for the mac gaming community. Battlefield is one of the strongest franchises for the computer, and one of the main reasons why the computer is still the king over online gaming, compared to the consoles.

This games seems to be simple enough to attract a wide amount of users who where put off by BF2s many complicated gameplay mechanics, aswell as seem fresh with its alternative art style. Let's face it... Shooting Nazis in the face will never become old.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Sounds good. I wonder how invasive the advertising will be. If it's just ads while the game loads then that will be cool. Even in game 'sprayed' onto buildings that wouldn't be too bad.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Sounds OK. I will stick with 2142 though thank you :)
I might try it, and if it s good play for an occassional fast paced pick up and go game. (like starcraft :))

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
hey it's team fortress... oh wait... It's an EA game.
I hate the way they edit all the swastikas out of the games nowadays. So stupid, and counterproductive as well.

No one had a problem with them for forty years after the war and then a couple of middle aged French women get upset about it and within two years they are edited out of every TV show and game around the world.

Crazy. :(

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I hate the way they edit all the swastikas out of the games nowadays. So stupid, and counterproductive as well.

No one had a problem with them for forty years after the war and then a couple of middle aged French women get upset about it and within two years they are edited out of every TV show and game around the world.

Crazy. :(

This is an ad in a German publication it looks like, and any Nazi propaganda is banned.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
I forgot a link , but I may have mixed this up with the rumors about battlefield 3. the next battlefield. not battlefield bad company(360, ps3) but the actual battlefield 3, running on the frostbite engine. but im sure I saw that it was confirmed for mac. arghh annoying that i cant find the link:/

Fatum

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Battlefield Heroes.

The game is called Battlefield Heroes and is in development for Windows only. See the official site of the game.

Best regards
Fatum

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I forgot a link , but I may have mixed this up with the rumors about battlefield 3. the next battlefield. not battlefield bad company(360, ps3) but the actual battlefield 3, running on the frostbite engine. but im sure I saw that it was confirmed for mac. arghh annoying that i cant find the link:/

3 Battlefield games in one year! Yes!!

The game is called Battlefield Heroes and is in development for Windows only. See the official site of the game.

Best regards
Fatum

Oh, that's too bad. But I heard it can run on crap so maybe it'll work the ol' dell.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
"Battlefield Heroes™ is a brand new Play 4 Free game from the people that brought you the multi-million selling Battlefield 1942™ and Battlefield 2™" ....

how come it doesn't say "from the people that brought u bf 1942, bf2, AND BF2142?

was 2142 a different development team or something? I mean... it uses the bf 2 engine....

(this is taken from http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/)

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
you guys should read...

It will be released for the PC only as a free download in Summer 2008

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.