The next big iTV / Apple TV will just be one big iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saintforlife, Apr 29, 2012.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I mean if you think about it, it will have retina display and definitely run iOS as that seems to be the future of all Apple devices.

It will be a giant tightly controlled screen size (at most two display sizes) and resolution ecosystem where developers will be able to develop apps just like how they do now for the iPhone and iPad.

There will be apps from various TV channels and content developers that you can choose on screen and stream your favortite TV shows and movies in demand. Apple will obviously put in their own iTunes tied video library app like the Bookstore/Newstand.

The TV will be Bluetooth enabled to use either an iPhone or iPad as remotes.

It will have an HDMI in to hook up your cable box to it (I can't see how Apple eliminates this and relies purely on apps for streaming content). That will just be too radical of a change for people to accept.

It could have more inputs for hooking up Xbox or your DVD player, but I doubt it. Apple will probably use the lack of inputs as a way to force people to buy more games and movies through iTunes on the TV itself thus making 30% if all those sales.

It will obviously have a front facing iSight camera that will have some cool feature like panoramic pan or something that will let groups of people FaceTime through the iTV.

These are just a few of my guesses, but I think they are all plausible.

2. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Yes it will be gimped in the name of profit. Do not want.

3. peteullo macrumors regular

I truthfully think you're right. I think it will definitely be a giant iPad. It's a way of bringing ios to a new platform. I wouldn't doubt it having a magic trackpad-like remote.

4. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

The important question is what sizes will it be offered in?

My guess: 46" and 60".

5. davidinva macrumors 6502a

This will disappoint all those folks on here who are clamoring for the 7.5" iPad.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

This probably shouldn't even be in the iPad forum, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I don't think a retina display TV is in the cards, not while cable companies still dominate content. Most of my HD channels are still 720p, some in 1080i. I assume they will look like crap on a retina display, unless Apple figures out a way to either upscale the content or downscale the retina display interpolation when showing cable.

I also don't think they'd lock out gaming systems. That would just be shooting themselves in the foot. No gamer is going to ditch their Xbox/PS completely for iOS games. And unless they plan on including a built in Blu Ray player, open HDMI inputs are a must.

I do think an Apple television is a logical step, but I don't see it as merely a giant iPad. iOS in the iPad/iPhone sense doesn't translate well to a TV. Its touch based. We've already seen that in the Apple TV box...its DNA is iOS, but in usage its nowhere near the same. The Remote app works ok, but when you use it, you're not looking at the TV, you're looking at the iPad or iPhone.

Using an iOS touch device to operate an iOS non-touch device is limited to what you can see on the remote's screen. Anyone who has tried serious gaming, or even mirroring, knows its more of a cool trick than a viable way to use either product extensively.

7. Hepnotic macrumors newbie

I wouldnt pass judgement on it prematurely.

Remember when the first iPad was announced? Everyone scoffed at it. Thinking ohhh, it's just a big iPhone, what a dumb name! Maybe it is a big iPhone, but it was a game changer.

And if it's a big iPad, I see nothing wrong with that considering a 42" HDTV is just a big 19" HDTV.

8. davidinva macrumors 6502a