The NEXT Generation Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fivepoint, Jun 18, 2008.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

When do you think the next generation of Time Capsule's will arrive?
    What HD sizes do you anticipate will be available? (I'd really like a 2TB Model)
    What other upgrades do you see in-store for Time Capsule?

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Sorry to be nitpicky but you mean 2TB right? And I can only really see upgrades to network speed and drive size.

3. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Thanks. Change made.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This would be nice but HD capacity is not there yet. Though Apple should offer a larger model that can hold 3 Drives so that you can have a much more solid backup with RAID 5. This is what holds me back. Rather I will be making my own NAS.

As for network speed they could do 2 gigabit easily enough since 2 gigabit PCI cards go for about the same price a 1 gigabit on Newegg. I mean we have had 1 gigabit in macs since 2000. Of course there is always 10 gigabit but the controllers are expensive and I think you need fiberoptic cabling.

As for the time frame I would say about the time profits start dropping on the current model and accounting reasons an updated model would mean more cash.

5. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

2 gigabit would be nice and I also would like something with multiple drives that you can have setup as a RAID.

6. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i think it will be more software oriented, with server/group features worked into Apple apps more. i know putting your iTunes library on there is probably the second most used purpose besides back up. it would make sense for Apple to build in a multiuser management for a central "home" iTunes library. the same could apply for iPhoto and other things. Time Capsule will become more than just for backup, but a more user friendly general purpose external storage solution. there might be a need to start putting some more hardware in there so that the Time Capsule could do more of the legwork, but it's not entirely unfathomable that all the processing could be handled by the computers accessing it, keeping the data and maybe common configuration files on the Time Capsule drive.

7. rjg001 macrumors member

It would be nice if it worked consistently, as I have been having constant problems with mine for the last couple months and I don't believe I am alone.

I would also like to be able to partition it.

8. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I REALLY like this idea. Sign me up, man. If it was a media server with the capability to add more external storage on-the-fly, that would be perfect for my setup and many others' I would expect.