Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How will the case change?

• It will remain the same altogether: no hardware changes in the next update

Votes: 104 16.6%
  • Have a slimmer form

Votes: 195 31.2%
  • Revert to a variation on the lamp

Votes: 44 7.0%
  • Totally new design all together

Votes: 282 45.1%

• Total voters

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
ha, just turn your MacPro to the side and put a cinema display on it!

-=|Mgkwho

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I think I know. Put the iMac back on a swivel cause thats really nice. But, instead of just making it straight. Put sort of a swooped curve around it. As if the thing is flying really fast. It sort of goes well with the Nano commercials. Upgrade the iSight def. I'm not sure about the base. But a swooping almost vortex design would be like nothing they have ever done and could hardly be called a throwback even if they did put it on a swivel. Maybe even release it in colors to entice more younger consumers. I mean a lot of people look at the iMac and say. Why that over a Mac Mini? Or why not just a much cheaper PC + Screen. It really doesn't have anything in terms of elegance, design, or convenicnce that makes it stand out compared to the laptops. Plus, if the Mac Mini were any better, like say a customizable mid-size conroe headless desktop, the iMac would be smashed. Its so fugly right now. But spice it up with a swoop. Add some color perhaps. It would go very nicely with a nano.

So. Hers what they should do.

Update the Mac Mini. I'm sorry but simple curves and shapes are out. You need something either razor thin or good looking. I suggest a razor thin Mac Mini with a large footprint. That could be mounted like PS2 in various positions. It would be perfect behind a TV.

Then move the iMacs down market. With swoop design and colors. Cheaper prices with less on them naturally. Not too much down market just enough so that there is the ability for younger people to jusitify its price more.

Then put out a headless machine aimed at customization but make it headless. Cube would be a good design. As long as it looks not like a PC box itll be good. Yet, make it so it replaces basically the higher fringes of the iMac. Especially since most people rather buy a 24" LCD plus a computer than a 24" iMac.

Then you just have the powermac. Which needs a case redesign. I say go with like a white or black box that sort of glows. Not quite sure, but the alumminum is losing it nowadays.

Then 12" Tablet with keyboard on screen so it has no keyboard. Perfect ultraportable.

Upgrade the 13" to be higher performance in the black model and more custimable so its more of a 13" Mac Pro than just a black Macbook.

New cases for the Powerbooks. And

Leopard for them all..... one can dream right.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I like the idea of the iMac on a swivel, although I can't quite envision what one would look like if it's not quite like the iMac G4.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Put an external power supply, like the Mac Mini, to the iMac and make it a tad bit thicker to accomodate the HD since there would be no internal power supply, so it would lose the chin and still be nearly as thin.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
How much does the hard drive get in the way?

I don't know what size they are, but they can hold up to 250 gigs right?

-=|Mgkwho

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
I wonder if the new iSight disappearances will have anything to do with future camera capabilities not only in future iMacs, but Apple's computers across the board.

I'm hoping hoping hoping for the in-screen camera which they patented.

-=|Mgkwho

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
You see, Apple is smarter than us. When the G4 came out, and you wondered what the G5 would look like, you probably thought about something similar to the G4, because thats all weve ever seen. Then Apple came along and released the G5, with its readically new design (back when it came out). So the next generation will either be the current model, except a tad bit thinner, or I believe a whole new amazing case will be revealed.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
I sort of think an option for touch screen is a good idea...i don't know why people don't think it is.

-=|Mgkwho

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
so everyone thinks that there will be a revision to the iMac? Why??? we just got the 24". Plus, the mini is in need of an overhaul not the imac. Better yet lets have a new mini tower to go with the new displays. :D
a new iMac would just be silly at this point........
But a new Mac tablet with detachable stand would be innovative.

madyaks

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
You see, Apple is smarter than us.

apple_cube-777513.jpg

Sure they are ;)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
my favourite of all the Designs is the iMac G4, its so beautiful so elegant, and in my opinion the G5 was a step backwards in terms of design (obviously not power)

I agree that the G4 design was really great and I loved that Mac, but from a usability point I really don't want to go back. I am carrying around my G5 iMac quite often - use it in different rooms and so on and that goes so much better with the G5

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
Yah, have a swivel for sure.

I'm thinking base something that is a cross between the g4 imac, the g5 imac and the current displays. Maybe something aluminum. Or, options to choose black and white!

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Well, whatever it is, now it's probably not happening for a while :(.

I'd bet that software updates are coming up first.

Leopard's a little more exciting, anyway (for the time being).

-=|Mgkwho

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
I think it would be interesting now to see Apple's roadmap with touch screen technology, given the iPhone and the radicals against a touchscreen iMac.

-=|Mgkwho

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah, but if it were an option the buyer would know that going into it.

-=|Mgkwho

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'm not too worried about physical design, but I want the next iMac to have an ugradeable video card in the 20" and 24" models. It would also be nice to break the 3GB RAM barrier, but I'm not soure when Intel are going to do that, and it's up to them.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Does anyone know why the Mac Mini has four USB ports, but the iMac only has three?

If you use a wired keyboard and mouse on your iMac, you're down to one port: most likely for a printer.

The iMac needs to cater to people that still use wires! Plus, until the iPod is wireless, (or at least its dock), Apple doesn't really have a case for saying "it's the wave of the future..." They can't eliminate it from their computers until they eliminate it from their other products.

-=|Mgkwho

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
But with a new design comes lot of bugs. I am glad I bought when I did, I personally wouldn't want a new design iMac.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Does anyone know why the Mac Mini has four USB ports, but the iMac only has three?

If you use a wired keyboard and mouse on your iMac, you're down to one port: most likely for a printer.

-=|Mgkwho

Plug the mouse into the keyboard. Problem solved.

Unless you're using a 3rd party keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.