The Next iPad Screen Needs Optical Lamination.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BergerFan, Nov 4, 2010.

1. BergerFan, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Looking at the edge of my iPad's screen from extreme viewing angles, I notice how far the actual display is from the cover glass - about 3 or 4 millimetres.
    When I do the same with my iPhone 4, I notice absolutely zero gap. I'm sure this helps the IPS screen on the iPhone 4 look even more vibrant, than the iPad, when I look at them, side-by-side.
    If you're unsure what the lamination process is about, basically the screen is 'laminated' to the cover glass, leaving no physical gap, ensuring no light distortion and allegedly removes the possibility of dust getting in between the screen and the glass(this happened on all of my previous iPhones, a lot).

They talk about it here, at about 2:20s in.

Look at the pic below to see what I mean. Look at the 'iPad' text.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      234.9 KB
      Views:
  2. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Interesting. Just had a look at mine.

Tho I would say the gap is not as big as you suggest, more like 2mm.

3. gatearray macrumors 65816

All true, and I might expect something like this to be the true "screen improvement" many in these forums have harped on ad nauseum. :)

The same iPad screen resolution with an iPhone 4 implementation would be a very nice upgrade.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you realize that would result an iPad with higher pixel count than MacBook Pro? Not happening.

5. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Um no. The same iPad screen resolution would result in the same number of pixels as on the current iPad ;)

The "implementation" being discussed is the lamination.

Now, the same pixel density as the iPhone 4 would indeed result in a very high pixel count.

Might happen though. Never say never :)

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

From a service standpoint I think that is a very bad and costly idea. You crack or scratch your digitizer on top and you would be forced to replace about everything, digitizer, LCD, backlight etc. Like I understand you have to do on the iphone4.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

You know, of all this things I think about my iPad and all the additional features I think I wish it might have now, or one day soon.

Having the screen closer to the glass inside the unit, has never been one of them.