Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
To start, I'm not trolling.

Why does everyone refer to it as the iPhone 5? Surely until we know what it's going to be called it should be referred to as the iPhone 6, what with it being the 6th iPhone to be released.
This leads me to think it may not even have a number in its name, for confusions sake.

To call it the 5 would be to say the 4s isn't a whole new model, but if you take that assumption the 3GS wasn't either, meaning the iPhone 4 wasn't the 4th iPhone and it's name makes no sense...

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
To start, I'm not trolling.

Why does everyone refer to it as the iPhone 5? Surely until we know what it's going to be called it should be referred to as the iPhone 6, what with it being the 6th iPhone to be released.
This leads me to think it may not even have a number in its name, for confusions sake.

To call it the 5 would be to say the 4s isn't a whole new model, but if you take that assumption the 3GS wasn't either, meaning the iPhone 4 wasn't the 4th iPhone and it's name makes no sense...

What're you smoking? Can I have some? :p

BTW, the iPhone 4 is the fourth iPhone dude.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I know, the iPhone 4 is the 4th. The 4s is the 5th and the next one would be the 6. Hence iPhone 6, but it's still referred to as iPhone 5 all over the place

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Ooh, please,please. no more - I'm begging.

No more "it's Iphone 5", "no, it's iPhone 6" and the endless semi logic defending each position.

No more, please...

So many threads...so many...AARRRGGGGHHHH!!:eek:

please... please

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA

No more "it's Iphone 5", "no, it's iPhone 6" and the endless semi logic defending each position.

No more, please...

please... please

Im with you on this USLESS crap!!!
Just WAIT AND SEE! Only apple knows what its going to be called.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle

No more, please...

please... please

Risperdal?

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
make it stop
sconf.gif

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
This is less of a debate about what it will be called, more a case of being irritated by reading "iPhone 5" everywhere. Hadn't seen any thread on here mention the name iPhone 6 at all

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
This is less of a debate about what it will be called, more a case of being irritated by reading "iPhone 5" everywhere. Hadn't seen any thread on here mention the name iPhone 6 at all

Really!!!???

You couldn't have looked very hard.

Please...please...make it stop....

----------

Maybe we should give it to those making these threads? I think you're fine.

You made my day...:eek::D:D

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I'm not, I thought there may have been a bit of a debate. When I've mentioned it before people have said I'm just being awkward lol

macbookman83

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2011
New York
We have no idea what it will be called as evidenced with the 4s. Knowing apple and their out of the box thing, it may just be called iPhone Air

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Lets look at the big picture shall we ??????

Who gives a flying *&%$&% what its called. It doesn't matter one single little bit. What is wrong with "YOU" people that keep on bring this subject up anyway ? Don't you have a life other than worrying about a name or number it will be called ?

GOD HELP US, PLEASE

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Next iphone will be called iphone 5. Apple is doing everything right and doesn't need to change its naming convention at this time. You must be really simple if you think it will be called iphone 6....seriously.......SERIOUSLY!

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Next iphone will be called iphone 5. Apple is doing everything right and doesn't need to change its naming convention at this time. You must be really simple if you think it will be called iphone 6....seriously.......SERIOUSLY!

It will, without doubt NOT be called the iPhone 5. Here I go getting sucked into this meaningless name/# vortex. But Seriously, it won't be the 5. :D

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
OK, My one and only post for this thread.

We had the iPhone - the original
We had the iPhone 3G - because it now used 3G networks
We had the iPhone 3Gs - didn't all the marketing say the s stood for speed (faster processor)
We had the iPhone 4 - because it was number 4
We have the iPhone 4s - don't know, but could the s stand for Siri

So, the next phone could be iPhone 6 - because it will be number 6
It could be the iPhone LTE - guessing it will run on new LTE networks (or 4G, but that would be confusing).
It could be the iPhone HD - if Apple delivers a 720p screen.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
OK, My one and only post for this thread.

We had the iPhone - the original
We had the iPhone 3G - because it now used 3G networks
We had the iPhone 3Gs - didn't all the marketing say the s stood for speed (faster processor)
We had the iPhone 4 - because it was number 4
We have the iPhone 4s - don't know, but could the s stand for Siri

So, the next phone could be iPhone 6 - because it will be number 6
It could be the iPhone LTE - guessing it will run on new LTE networks (or 4G, but that would be confusing).
It could be the iPhone HD - if Apple delivers a 720p screen.

This, perfect speculation. kind of an oxymoron, but hey :D

I'd also say you could throw the iPhone 5 in there too because 5 comes after 4, and if you jumped to 6 less intelligent people would be confused why they "skipped" a number

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I don't think it really matters does it? I hope it doesn't matter, because if it does I really have not been putting enough thought into it. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.