Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
I wouldn't call it the future of computing, if anything it would be the future of laptops...and even then the original MBA would be the future of laptops, nothing major has changed since it, unless you consider the 2010 version with standard SSD then ok I could consider the laptop that will define the future of laptops but definitely not computing

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I might be a newb to this forum, but have been using and following macs for well over a decade. (remember, back when laptops looked like toilet lids, and were roughly as useful too)

Anyway, given the consensus around here about what the new MBAs will do and contain (moderate to good speed bump, possibly more ram, lion preinstalled, TB enabled, worse graphics), i think they will NOT define or change anything, unless apple decides to really surprise us price wise.
Provided they cost more or less as much as the current ones, they will still cost more than PC equivalents, enough to make the majority of regular consumers choose a PC.

Now if Apple decided to drop the "apple tax" just this once, it might change something (Apple is now one of the worlds biggest companies, and IMO, the essence of their success is getting people to voluntarily pay the premium.)

Even if they did it would not change computing in the way that iPhone and iPad did.
I almost never see a businessman/woman without an ipad anymore, and myself I just can not see how I can live without an iPhone.

Even though I really REALLY want one, I can live without the new Macbook Air.

I think you have to think of the big picture on this one; for 90 percent of Apple's customers, getting a MBA and a cd/dvd drive is all they really need, and that's the point. It's blazing fast, has great battery life, and is small, which is very important. People don't like lugging around a laptop, they like bringing things that are extensions of their life. The iPhone is small, people love it. Think of the average girl or mother. They don't want some huge laptop with an iCore processor and descrete graphics cards. They want something small, simple, fast, lasts all day, and looks good. That's what the MB is. You can stick it in a bag or larger purse. You can carry it. It isn't going to tie you down.

Students in college. Students that live off campus dont' want to lug a huge laptop to class; some don't spend much and get a netbook for notes while having a more powerful desktop/laptop in the room. The MBA is a great device for a college student. Get them a cd drive, an external drive, and a MBA and they're set for 4 years. It's light, small, fast, and those are the main reasons why I'm selling my blackbook to get a refresh. When I have an Organic Chem, Calc, and Microbiology book in my bag I definitely don't want to stick a 13 inch MacBook in there as well.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
do you honestly think ILM or Weta Digital would rather use Macbook Airs over Mac Pros to finish up the next Transformers or The Hobbit films?

Neither. They use specialized render farms that are faster and have oodles more bandwidth and storage than any stand-alone Mac or PC. Sometimes in their own custom built energy efficient buildings.

That's the other future of computing. Private or public clouds. Locked up where almost no one will ever see it or buy one in person.

Even so, please estimate what percentage ILM artists are out of the entire worlds computer using population? How many zeros did you need?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Even so, please estimate what percentage ILM artists are out of the entire worlds computer using population? How many zeros did you need?

Nobody argued that workstations are required by consumers. It was your statement that workstations will be replaced by MBAs that started this discussion.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wouldn't call it the future of computing, if anything it would be the future of laptops...and even then the original MBA would be the future of laptops, nothing major has changed since it, unless you consider the 2010 version with standard SSD then ok I could consider the laptop that will define the future of laptops but definitely not computing

A well made point and a nice distinction, and I agree with you. The MBA was a game changer, both when it originally appeared, and again, in 2010. I suspect that this is where Apple will - over time - introduce further changes, but agree with you that the game that will be changed is that of laptops, rather than computers in general.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.